Saturday, September 4, 2010

Turkey Vultures


Turkey Vultures occasionally sit on the patio fence, but this one came inside of the patio.

His huge size is apparent perched on the bird house tree!

I tried to get a close up so you can see the color on his head.  These were shot from inside of the house, looking into a bright morning light - not the best, but the best I could get.  Hope you enjoy!


I'm posting these photos from my Posterous blog, which will automatically post to my regular blog at Blogger. Post from Posterous will look a little different from my regular post (and won't have a photo of my helpers, ....sigh...) but this will let me send short post quickly.  This is  test post, so please bear with me as I make sure all of this will come out right!
Jean

6 comments:

MYSAVIOR said...

Great pictures - you make that bird look pretty. I don't like to say that God's creatures are ugly but we have many around here and they are mean looking. LOL

Sue

Jean Levert Hood said...

Sue, thank you so much!! The feathers truly are pretty, but, hmmmm, that head! It is a fierce looking bird, and does it's clean up job well. I'm so glad you stopped by and took the time to comment!

Felicia Kramer said...

Jean, if I may say so, that first pic could be a Halloween card! You're right - it's fierce looking! Great shots, though.

Texasartist said...

Jean, I wouldn't allow the vulture to get in the habit of perching there. Those big birds leave one heck of a mess! Don't smell very nice either.
Linda

Karen Faulkner said...

Turkey vultures like to sit on my neighbor's roof. I'm just glad it's not mine they like!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Felicia, you're so right!! Thank you, glad you enjoyed the shots!

-----

Linda, I wasn't going to let him get used to that perch, after a few photos, I was going to go out an yell at him. He didn't stay long, and hasn't come back since. Whew!

-----

Karen, I would not be happy to have them use any part of my patio as a permanent perch!!! Keep them at your neighbor's!