Monday, August 9, 2010

Spring Wildflowers and Cactus - oil painting, Patio Flowers, Hummingbirds

Jean Levert Hood, ©2010, Spring Wildflowers and Cactus, Oil, 10 x 20 inches 



 Spring Wildflowers and Cactus, detail
There's a section on the patio that I like to let go natural each year. I generally regret this decision deeply later in the summer, but I can't help my self early in the spring!  I love to see what will come up and I love the look of un-manicured growth.  This area is filled with very dense basalt rock, rich with browns, grays, blacks, reds and greens.  It really makes a pretty show until it gets totally out of control.


DSC_0217001

DSC_0218resized

DSC_0219resizedresized

DSC_0224resized

"Totally Out of Control" will be coming very soon.

Here's a very happy Hummingbird:

hummer 4

hummer 3

hummer 8

My helpers have been busy and they asked if they worked hard, could

helpers 6

 I find a place for them to take dance lessons.  

 helpers 4
   
Don't miss my website for my oil paintings!


You can find me on Twitter and Facebook, too!

9 comments:

Clare said...

Love the new picture. So glad the spring wild flowers inspired you!

ZudaGay said...

Beautiful cactus, Jean!! The hummingbird is just precious...amazing photo! :)

Nancy Medina said...

Love this Jean, and the little hummer bathing is quite enchanting! I wonder how many little critters are thankful for their homes under your natural rock landscape. Everything you touch you make better!
xxooxo

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you Clare!! So glad you like it, it was such a gorgeous Spring!

-----

Hey Zuda!! Those little birds never cease to amaze me, I appreciate that you stopped by!

-----

Nancy, I'd like to think our critters and happy here, what a sweet compliment from you! I'm glad you like the painting. Hugs to the pugs, sweet lady!

Marie Theron said...

You have such a unique style, Jean, that nobody will ever be able to duplicate. The many colors used to depict cactus is very impressive, and I like the wide view too. It gives the idea that there are miles of the plant beyond your canvas!

Mar said...

GREAT!!!! inspiration on this blog!
beautiful painting and gorgeous photos...thank you for visiting my blog!
it brought me here
:)

hmuxo said...

You did a beautiful job with the spring flowers...great colors and your cactus are always perfect.

Mary said...

More inspirational work in this lovely painting, Jean--I learn a good deal studying your paintings, things I couldn't even clearly put into words. And your photography is equally impressive (that hummer!). Thank you.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Mar, what a wonderful thing to hear - that I have inspired you! Thank you so very much, that is humbling, to be sure. Stop by again!

-----

Hello Dear Marie ~~ I'm so glad you like this one! I feel that no matter what I'm painting, it's still all about color for me, so your comments are treasured. Thank you!

-----

Thank you so much, Hilda! and thank you for stopping by. I love the "Wedding Day" piece on your blog!

-----

Mary - it's always such a pleasure to hear from you! My birds seem to pose sometimes, I think they are camera hams! I am honored if you can learn something from my work. I truly think we all learn from each other. Your blog is always a wealth of serenity and peace - a perfect place to visit! And I hope my readers do!