Monday, April 5, 2010

Cactus Oil Painting, Wildflowers Everywhere!

I've painted several Prickly Pear Cactus lately.
Prickly Pear Cactus in Yellow, Oil painting

Jean Levert Hood, ©2010, Prickly Pear, Yellow, Oil, 9 inches by 12 inches

This hasn't been posted on my web site yet, it needs a little more drying time.

This Spring is all I'd hoped for! We've been here since 1993 and I'm declaring this the most gorgeous spring ever. The wildflowers are so thick it's amazing. The number of different varieties is truly staggering. I'll have more great flower blogs for you if the heat stays away just a little while longer. We also have turkeys back at the house feeder and the Tree Ducks came back this week.

I showed you the yellow fields we're seeing and now the verbena is giving us lavender fields! It's thick, tall and healthy.

We have 3 kinds of wild verbenas. The Dakota Vervian or Prairie Verbena makes the beautiful show. These will bloom almost all year long if we have a mild winter. Later in the year, they won't match these beautiful carpets we're having now, though. These are very thick with tons of flower heads. Verbena have rich nectar, so you'll see butterflies and insects enjoying them too.

DSC_0010resized

To the back of this area below, the yellow carpet takes over.

DSC_0038resized

We have several types of primroses here, these white ones are popping up everywhere.

DSC_0035resized

I'm sure this is some type of Mallow, but I can't find it in my books. It's one of the few orange flowers we have.

DSC_0049resized

Photographing these flowers close up can be dangerous:

DSC_0052resized

We are still enjoying the yellow carpets of bladderpods.

yellow field spring resized

This tree is blooming right outside of my studio window.
studio window

This feather was stuck on a branch. It is beautiful! I love finding surprises like this on my walks. Each one is a treasure hunt.

feather


Diane Clancy was so kind to give me a "Sweet Blog Award." Thank you Diane!

Felicia Kramer mentioned me in her blog, and I so appreciate it Felicia!

Don't miss my website for my oil paintings! You can find me on Twitter and Facebook.

I though "Spring Break" was supposed to be a week, as in one week. And they took the cat! They've promised to be home by next blog. Till next time, Jean

spring break mannequin 2 resized

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the cactus painting. Can't believe the wild flowers!

Pat said...

I love that cactus painting - its outstanding !

Felicia Kramer said...

Jean, that cactus painting is outstanding!! And the photos are incredible. It all just took my breath away .... thank you!

Jasy said...

luv the painting!!!
gr88 photoss...!!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Anon, thank you so much! Please visit again!

-----

Pat, thank you! You know I love working with all of that juicy color.

-----

Hey Felicia! I am so glad you enjoyed it all! This year's spring is just fantastic.

-----

Thank you so much JasY! I am glad you found me! I'm following your blog now!

brendathour said...

Love the painting and the beautiful flower photos! Can I come visit you? lol

Marie Theron said...

The Texas wildflowers are truly amazing! For us with the gentle spring flowers they look like ancient species! The cactus painting is lovely, Jean!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Brenda, Come on Down!!!! We can lay in the flower patches!!

-----

Thank you Marie, I have more wildflowers that I'll post soon. We had a short trip to the heart of the Hill Country a few days ago, and as soon as I get those photos downloaded, I'll show them! Would love to see your!