Monday, April 12, 2010

Cactus Oil Painting, Spring Flowers, Ducks and Cats!

Another cactus painting!

Prickly Pear, Oil, 16x20, Jean Levert Hood

Jean Levert Hood, ©2010, Prickly Pear, Oil, 16 inches by 20 inches

This is my largest, actually quite large for me. I enjoy painting small and only occasionally go for a piece this size. I'm getting work ready for a new gallery, as well as a featured artist at a gallery later this year. I want a few cactus pieces for both, in 2 sizes. So, you'll see a few more to come. I've painted landscapes and more flowers in clay pots, too. I'll certainly have to take a break from all of this to paint some of our gorgeous wildflowers!

So - onto our Spring! This next flower is gorgeous and I've only seen it here one other spring. It's blue - and thus it's name, Blue Curls. We don't have many blue flowers and these are just outstanding. You can see the clusters of blooms in this close up below.

DSC_0069resized

When it's a little further along, you see the coming blossoms along a coiled cluster. This cluster straightens as the flowers mature. My book tells me that these are easily cultivated from seed.

DSC_0068resized

We are very well protected. Nightly, Stella takes up Patio Patrol. This will continue for some time, until she is sure all is well.

DSC_0512resized

DSC_0513resized

Clothilde, on the other hand, would rather play. My tomatoes aren't planted yet, but she enjoys playing with the strings that are waiting to hold up the plants.

DSC_0514resized DSC_0517resized DSC_0518resized

Blue Winged Teal are visiting with us as they migrate! It's rare that I get a shot of our many migrating ducks, they generally fly off, so I don't even try to get too close. This shot was luck - I had my telephoto lens with me and I stopped as soon as I saw them. They didn't fly away! Thank you JG for identifying them.

Blue Winged Teal

These tiny flowers area everywhere. They're smaller than a dime.

DSC_0080001

I'm not sure what these next flowers are - I've never seen these before! My book has a few possibilities, so I'll have to wait for the blooms to be sure. It may be Stork's Bill but the leaves look different. They're right outside of the patio. I've even watered them to make sure they stay healthy!

DSC_0083resized

I love this shot of the mallows!

mallow resized

Don't miss my website for my oil paintings! You can find me on Twitter and Facebook, too!

They're back, as promised, but still won't ditch the shades or the beach chairs.

after spring break mannequin resized

13 comments:

Suzanne McLean said...

Wonderful journey through the wildflowers. Thanks, Jean, for the window into your life. How enjoyable. Love your prickly pear painting too. Fantastic brushwork!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Suzanne! Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm thrilled for your nice comments on my painting, and I do love sharing my corner of the world! Best to you!

Karen Faulkner said...

I predict the prickly pear painting will be a huge hit! Love it! And I can't get over those Blue Curls...too cool!

jeannette said...

Love your cactus painting!
Also, the blue curls are just perfect (are you going to paint them?)
I see Spring makes you bring out the camera:)

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you so much, Karen! I've learned so much on these recent cactus paintings.

-----

Jeanette, we drove around the Hill Country last week and I took about 400 photos! I am one of those who cannot help myself! I have so much painting material!

Katherine said...

Jean,

I love the paint color choices for the cacti. Truly unique!

brendathour said...

Beautiful painting Jean. I can feel the warmth of the sun when I look at it, and your brushwork is amazing as always.

jeannette said...

Thanks for the "follow."
About your reply to my comment: I know, never enough to paint all that we can take pics of now!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Katherine,
Thank you so much! I love to get all of the color I can in my paintings. It's what I love so much!

-----

Jeannette - you're so welcome!

-----

Hey Brenda! Thank you for such lovely comments! It's my pleasure to share the beauty we have here.

My cats make me laugh and smile every day! Stella loves to paint with me, and take walks with me. Blessings to you!

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Wow, your prickly pear painting is really a modern day masterpiece. All I can say is, wow, as I hold my breath for such a sublime work of art. You are not only an accomplished painter, you are a distinguished photographer as well, able to capture the meaning and relevance of the beauty that surrounds you. You have such a keen eye for beauty and expression. I will be forever an avid fan of yours. Thanks for the magnificent post. God bless you always.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Mel, thank you so much for such kind words! I love having a place to share all of the beauty around me - and I do love my camera! We are having such a wonderful Spring here, I have more photos to come! All blessings to you, Jean

Ann Flower said...

A stunning photo of beautiful flowers. Thanks so much for posting these incredible delights of nature.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Ann, Thank you so much for visiting my blog and commenting! I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos! I love to share my corner of Texas.