Monday, March 15, 2010

It's a Gorgeous Spring!

The Spanish Daggers are blooming! This is such an awesome plant! The "daggers" are truly something you would not like to run into. I wait for these blooms each Spring. The bloom is on average about 18 inches tall. This is my very scientific measurement. Here's a bloom just about to open:

DSC_0378-1resized

I love this shot below! You can see a bit of the distant mountain and the dead tree is great. This is actually 2 daggers, you can see another bloom coming up on the right side of the photo, just about in the middle.

DSC_0380-1resized

I'll have updates as this opens.

The blooms of the Spanish Dagger and Mountain Laurel are the 1st signal of spring. I've seen them bloom in January often, as we have mild winters many years. This is the coldest winter that I remember in my 30 years here. The Texas Hill Country will be gorgeous this Spring, because along with the cold, we've had such a wet winter.

Ohhhh, I have waited for this - We've had so much rain since January that I knew we'd have a wonderful wildflower carpet! This is the first:

DSC_0389-1resized

This is the little flower that is carpeting areas. It is simply beautiful! DSC_0404-2resized

This flower is a type of bladderpod. My book on wildflowers for this area shows 3 that all look the same to me. It blooms March - May. With a few more well placed rains, we could have this beautiful display for a while. This bladderpod seems to be the thickest where the ground has been disturbed in recent years.

This is the best display of wildflowers we've had in about 8 years! I will probably post a few extra blogs with just photos of our Spring display.

We have loads of blooms on our peach, plum, and apple trees. The peach blooms are the best. I love the pink and they are fuller than most years.

DSC_0392-1resized

I cut branches from blooming trees and bring them in the house. Just when the branches are starting to show signs of life, they'll be so lovely inside! The warmer temperatures in your house will bring the buds, leaves, and blooms quickly.

It's wonderful to watch the process each day. I have a large vase with branches 2-3 feet tall inside. They are beautiful! Buds, blooms and leaves, all coming along and the perfect signal that spring is here!

Peach tree branches resized

The ducks at Lake Jean are laying eggs. The only problem is that they're laying them in the wrong places! They haven't used the floating nesting area that we have in the middle of the lake. This is the first time we've had ducks that have ignore it, and simply lay where they please. And that is OK, but it means no baby ducks.

DSC_0338-1resized

I feel like my walks are treasure hunts, I'm always looking for something wonderful. I never have to look far, because the beauty of this area is all around me. I do love finding little surprises, like this decidedly yellow rock below. It stood out so proudly! It's fun to see through the lens of my camera - plus I can share it with you. A double treat!

DSC_0353-1resized


This little oil study is dry now:
"Aging Oak, Study" Jean Levert Hood, ©2010 Oil, 8 inches by 6 inches

Aging Oak, Study, is now available on my website for $75.00, including shipping and insurance.

You can find me on Twitter and Facebook! Don't miss my web site for more oil paintings. Here you can find my studies priced from $75.00 and my paintings priced from $200.00. Thank you for visiting!

mannequin, St Patricks day They're decorating for Saint Patrick's Day!

Till next time!

Jean

8 comments:

Manon Doyle said...

Jean.... it certainly is a lovely Spring in your area. Your photos capture all the beauty. We don't have flowers yet but I sense that they're coming.

The *aging oak* is gorgoeus!

Debra James Percival said...

Wow and OH Wow! Wonderful photos. Love your little painting.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Manon, thank you so much for commenting! I'm so glad you like the little Oak painting. I'm going to wear out my camera with Spring photos!

-----

Debra, I so appreciate that! Thank you very much. I hope folks will check out your blog, too:
http://www.debrajamespercival.com/
nice place!!! Beautiful site! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Lyn said...

So glad to see the photo of you!
Nice to know that youhaven't changed in these last 15 years. Love viewing your paintings and your photos.

Jean Levert Hood said...

ohmygosh, Lyn, yes I've changed!! You didn't see all of that gray hair??? I'm so glad you like my painting and blog, it's gorgeous here right now. Not much green in the trees, but the flowers are just starting!

Fredericks said...

Thank you for sharing the beauty of nature around your beautiful property in Texas. I loved the picture of your carpet of flowers and your delightful painting.

Pat said...

Beautiful photos!
So lovely to see spring around the world :)

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you so much, Pat! I'm enjoying checking out your website!