Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bluebonnets and Wildflowers

Bluebonnets are blooming! We have a small area where they come up every year and that area has more than doubled! Yes, I'd like to use a whole bunch of exclamation points, but I'll refrain. Then again, maybe not!!!

DSC_0423resized

They're scattered in this very rocky area. The yellow bladderpods are fairly thick and verbena are making a nice show there too.

DSC_0428resized

I wait for this every year!!!! Oops, I mean: I wait for this every year.

DSC_0432resized

DSC_0435resized

I love the deep red violet color on the petals.

DSC_0439resized

Spanish Dagger update:

DSC_0441resized

The bloom is made up of huge amounts of individual flowers. You can see that this one will be bigger soon, when all of the red pods open up.

DSC_0446resized

In my last post about Mountain Laurel, they were just beginning to show color. Now, this is an explosion of violets!

mountain laurel resized

The verbena are getting thicker and carpets of these beauties are starting.

verbena resized

This is a beautiful mix of verbena and bladderpods.

yellow field resized

This next photo wasn't taken on our place, but I couldn't pass up how pretty it was. I wanted a shot without the roadway, but, this was all I could get.

verbena carpet resized

I have so many great spring photos, I'm posting a blog with just these gorgeous flowers. Next post I'll update you on my art work.

Don't miss my website for my oil paintings! You can find me on Twitter and Facebook, too!

My helpers said they wanted a "Spring Break." Yes, I was a little shocked, too, but they've sent me a photo.

mannequins on spring break

10 comments:

Manon Doyle said...

Love the bluebonnets and wildflowers!! great pics, Jean!!

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Oh glorious Spring Jean!! Awesome pics--I can't wait until we see blooms too. You are waaayyy ahead of us! Thanks for posting all these beautiful flowers Jean! Now I'm really wishing for Spring. :D

Clare said...

Oooohhhhh how incredible! Looking at your beautiful pics is almost as good as sitting on my deck on a spring day.

jamie said...

LOVE IT!! The chairs made my day!! and the coke cans!! Priceless!! Oh and the pics and flowers are beautiful too!!

Johnnie said...

Jean, how stunning the flowers are. The mankins are so cute. you made my day

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Manon! I'm so glad you've enjoyed it, it's gorgeous here this Spring!

-----

Debbie, we are so late for our Spring! We've had the coldest winter that I remember in 30 years. Often the Daggers and Mountain Laurel bloom in January.

-----

Clare, wish we could take a walk together!! Hopefully, I'll have a solid month of some pretty neat photos.

-----

Jamie, The coke cans are just so perfect with the chairs!! I love it!

-----

Hey Johnnie - Well, I do have a lot of fun with my little "studio helpers," although some may question my sanity in that they've taken on a life of their own! I started using them on my blog a few years ago, and it's been plain fun!

I'm so glad you enjoyed my blog.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

You are not only a very talented painter but also a top notch photographer. Your passion for photography, especially for the beauties of nature, matches your searing passion for painting. I will forever be a fan of yours. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hi Mel, I am so honored at your comment. Thank you. I so appreciate you, too, how you work tirelessly promoting artists around the globe. Many blessing to you and yours.
Jean

Karen Faulkner said...

WOW. Stunning. Do you teach any painting workshops where I can laze amongst the field of wildflowers contemplating its inspiration? If so, sign me up!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Karen, now that would be a lovely workshop! Laying among the flowers, I'll sign up too! Happy Easter!