Monday, October 26, 2009

Workshops, Fall Wildflowers, Chamisa Oil Painting

Oh, my blog is gathering dust again!

I had an unexpected workshop opportunity plus my regular yearly workshop over the past few weeks. The unexpected workshop was from Bob Butler. I love his use of color and I study with him every chance I get.

Last week I was in Fredericksburg, Texas. I don't know if it's my favorite spot in the Texas Hill Country, but close! I have taken a workshop there from Guido Frick for the last 5 years. Guido studied under the wonderful artist Sergei Bongart. Every time I take a workshop, I wonder how many life times I would need to paint as I would like!

Workshop paintings are generally not to be shared, (hidden in a closet is more like it!) so this post will give you a taste of our beautiful fall. I'll get to painting in my studio this week.

Mist-flower is blooming! The rains we've had backed by cooler weather finally gave us wildflowers. There is a group of trees just outside of my studio and a nice patch of these light violet beauties grow there in the shade. If we get a few well place rains, they should bloom through December.

DSC_0019resized

About 10 feet from the mist-flower is a wonderful group of lantana shrubs. It's so deeply colored. Lantana is toxic according to my book, but some small birds may eat the fruit. It's a plant you see often in our area used for landscaping. It enjoys our sandy soils and can handle our summer heat. I've never cultivated it, I just enjoy what grows wild. It's an excellent plant for xeriscape needs.

DSC_0022resized

These are the little berries that come when the flowers are finished.

DSC_0033resized

This below reminds me of northern New Mexico's Chamisa, which I've painted often. It's some sort of desert broom and it blooms every year from early fall until the first freeze. I'm not sure what it is, in spite of my 3 books! I love it. It's a sure signal that fall is here and cooler weather is a reality.

DSC_0041resized

Stella loves to walk with me and she checks out everything I stop to photograph.

DSC_0042resized

Oh, I can post a Chamisa painting!

This was painted several years ago after a painting trip to Taos, New Mexico. The Chamisa is beautiful there in the fall.

"Chamisa" Original Oil painting, Jean Levert Hood ©2007

Chamisa is available on my web site, it measures 11x14 inches and is available for $395.00. Prices on my web site include shipping and insurance.

I grew up in South Louisiana, so fog was a very familiar site. Here in my corner of Texas, fog is not a familiar site! It's such a seldom occurrence that I thought this shot from the game camera was really special. Seems so different, doesn't it?
© Jean Levert Hood

Since the drought has been so hard on the land, along with the excessive summer heat, we feed protein to the deer in addition to corn, along with medicated salt licks.

© Jean Levert Hood

The ducks love the feeder, the corn, the grain, and the protein blocks!

I don't see too many turtles, but this one is really large.


DSC_0084-5resized


I have more to show you already in my camera for next time. So, until then,

Don't miss my website for my oil paintings!
You can find me on Twitter and Facebook, too!

Be sure to click here to sign up for my semi-monthly newsletter!


They seem to like the whole idea of fall.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Welcome back to blogging, Jean--what a wonderful post. The wildflower photos are lovely--and you did find a painting to show us. It is spirited and vibrant--I love it! Your workshops sound inspiring--aren't we fortunate when we can stretch ourselves with a fine artist/teacher?

Suzanne McLean said...

Jean, A wonderful window into your world again. Thanks for sharing!

Manon Doyle said...

Hi Jean,

"Chamisa" is gorgeous!! Wow!

OMG... the turtle is so cute!! We don't have those in Ohio...lol!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Mary - thank you so much! Oh, yes, those workshops take me a long way. I normally take that week long one once a year. other than that, it's an occasional opportunity. This was a lot with 2!

-----

Suzanne, thank you so much! I'm so happy you enjoy it, and that you take the time to let me know!

-----

Hey Manon! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read this article. Thank author for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I would like to read more on that blog soon.