Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chickens, Roosters, and Ducks

In honor of The Chicken Yard that has so successfully housed our new ducks, I'm showing you these two oil paintings. Next I'll get to the Chicken yard/Duck story.


Young Rooster is 10 inches by 8 inches,


and Chicken Strut is 8 inches by 10 inches. Both of these pieces are available on my web site. They are $200.00 each, which includes shipping and insurance. Both are painted on Gallery Wrapped Canvas, meaning the painting continues around the sides of the piece, so it can be framed or not.


These are the last photos of the ducks in the chicken yard. The process of getting them to the lake (mostly uneventful) happened this past week. Those little top knots are getting pretty wild!

ducks 12

ducks 11

I thought I'd throw in a picture of the chickens since you haven't seen them in a while. And, I know you were just waiting to see them!

chicken 1

So, this is the process. We bring one duck to Lake Jean, wait a few days, make sure all is well, bring one more, wait a few days, make sure all is well. At this point, we decide the remaining four can go.

Don and I are in the chicken yard catching the ducks to transport them to the lake. I fall down.

Now, you may be wondering why it is blog-worthy to tell you that I fell down?

Trust me, just put this on your "note to self" pad - A Chicken Yard is not a place where you want to fall down!

ducks 9

Here's the first one at Lake Jean:

ducks 6

Finally, this one makes it to the water's edge. We had to drive around to the other side of the lake, this little guy kept running back to us! These pictures are from a little distance, but I think you'll enjoy them.

ducks 5

The 3 ducks from June are curious and come to see the stranger.

ducks 4

a little closer,

ducks 3

Contact! Successful mission!

ducks 2

And off they go!

ducks 1

We have black buck antelope now! Next blog, I'll show you their arrival.

Please visit my Etsy store to see my small works and watercolors.

Don't miss my website for my oil paintings!

You can find me on Twitter and Facebook, too!

They are spending quite a bit of time with the new kitty.

DSC_0076resized

12 comments:

Julie B said...

Those top-knots crack me up! What breed of ducks are these?

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Wonderful Paintings Jean! Loved your stories and pics. I can understand why you would not want to fall in a chicken pen!! ;D

Clare said...

Wonderful paintings - would make a great set! Enjoyed the duck pics.

Genie said...

Hi Jean! I know I haven't commented on you blog in ages, or any body else's for that matter. When it comes to "Jean Levert Hood Texas Hill Country Painter" I guess I've just run out of synonyms for, "wow," "amazing," inspired," "gorgeous," and "SO BEAUTIFUL!" But your work remains a huge inspiration in my creative life.

I see your paintings on my walls every day and think of what else you are creating now that would make me want to go into debt. Keep up your fantastic work. I love it all.

Manon Doyle said...

Love the paintings Jean!! You are one talented lady!!
Your post made me smile today.... loved all the pics!!

Claudia Finn said...

This is so adorable, I love the wildlife that you share it is almost a story book! Their feathered head is so cute!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Julie - We don't know what kinds of ducks!! We ordered "6 assorted cresteds" So, when they are a little more grown, I'm sure we can identify them better.

-----

Debbie - thank you so much! I appreciate you commenting, and love keeping up with you on Twitter, too. Oh, yes, hmm, that fall.

-----

Hey Clare! Glad you like them!

-----

Genie - you are tooooo kind! I'm humbled to have inspired you. I can truly say the same for you. I treasure our photo safari times!

-----

Hey Manon! I'm so glad you like 'de blug' - I'll forever smile at that one! If I gave you a smile today, I'm thrilled!

-----

Hi Claudia, I'm happy you've found my blog interesting. I'm still questioning my revelation to the entire internet that I fell in the chicken pen! I do love sharing my world, thank you for reading.

Sadia Hussain said...

Jean these are gorgeous paintings !
Love the vibrant exuberance in both of them! The pictures of the ducks are also really cool.
Take care.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Sadia! I'm so glad you like the paintings, thank you so much! The ducks have given us quite a few laughs, and I love hearing them from my patio. Best to you Sadia!

Genie said...

Oh, and I promise you, I fell down worse than you fell down but I won't discuss it here. But maybe you should get some coveralls or something for chicken duty in the future, eh? Ew!

Man, those "top notches" are hysterical.

Starry said...

Hi, I featured your rooster in a blog post about an artist who painted 350 rooster heads until he was finally satisfied… if you're interested, check it out at http://starry-vault.tumblr.com/post/330610750/rooster

Due credit and a link back here is given.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hi Starry! I'm so glad that you stopped by to let me know about your blog post. I cannot find a way to leave a comment on your blog, so I'll do so here. I heard that story some years ago. It reminds me of what is so true - the "miles and miles of canvas behind you" to become a better artist. Same idea, wonderfully illustrated. I'm glad to be a part of your illustration of it! Thank you!
Jean