Sunday, August 16, 2009

With the Wind - Oil Abstract Painting, Studio Essentials

This oil abstract reminds me of the wind. I love the swirl of colors in this piece. Kim at Laketrees had a contest and I entered this. The theme was "Post Card from Heaven." No, I didn't win, but it was fun to enter! Thanks Kim!

With the Wind, A Postcard from Heaven

© 2009 Jean Levert Hood

You can purchase "With the Wind" on my web site for $325.00 It measures 9 inches tall by 12 inches wide.

Detail:

With the Wind, A Postcard from Heaven

I really enjoy painting abstracts. Sometimes it's fun to explore and do something different. As you know, I love color in my paintings and abstracts give me a chance to unleash that love and think "color."

My Studio

I like having my studio filled with things that are meaningful to me. I have my brushes, palette knifes, various tools, tacks, erasers, clips, etc, in containers that were given to me by someone special, or that were purchased on a trip. It keeps my creative muse happy to see these pieces around me.

While I love having these containers, well, then there are the "just plain tools." Where do I put all of these?

I have one peg board in my studio that holds all of the items I need, items that must have their designated home, but not the kind of things that can go into my great containers. So, here's my pegboard:

Untitled-74resizedresized

This is where I keep my utility type items that seem to have no other place to live. It resides over my sink.

I have a special corner on my peg board. This little painted slate says "It's never too late to have a happy childhood." Sharon gave me this, a friend I've had for about 25 years. The photo under the slate is of some incredible children that I've watched grow up. ( and I see that it hangs right in her face!) They are now all adults, college graduates, some in graduate school and law school, and all are doing wonderful things in their lives. Then, there is the torn corner of a cover, saying simply "Dance." Pieces on my special corner change all the time, but the photo and slate have been here forever.

DSC_0077-4resized


Remember my painting from last blog?
I named it "Shawl Dance." Joni Stinson was so kind to let me know that the proper title for this dance is "Fancy Shawl Dance." Thank you Joni!

Joni has a wonderful shop on Etsy and she sent me a great link to read more on Pow Wows. She is Creek and Cherokee. She says "My designs combine traditional Native American techniques with contemporary elements, colors and materials. My work is symbolic and exemplifies my passion for my Nation and my art."

Andrea blogged about one of my paintings on the Design Style Guide blog. Thank you Andrea, I appreciate that so much!

You'll find my small watercolors and smallest oils in my Etsy store . Work on Etsy is priced from $10.00.

You can purchase my oil paintings and studies on my website . Be sure to click here to sign up for my monthly newsletter!

You can find me on Twitter and Facebook, too!

Well, they're back from vacation. I'm a little concerned, not much work is getting done, and I detect attitude...

mannequin august

12 comments:

jstinson said...

Jean, Thanks for the "shout out" about me and my store. It is always a pleasure to see your work and read your blog! Mvto and Wa-do (Thank you in Creek and Cherokee), Joni

Diane ~ said...

Oh Jean what a fabulous blog post! I enjoyed every bit from those characters back from vacation with their sunglasses & attitude! to showing us more of your studio(which is beautifully clean & organized!) to your new painting "with the wind"... which is a wow!

Thank you for sharing your life & enriching ours!!!

Manon Doyle said...

Love the abstract.... the colors are terrific Jean!

Your pegboard is like mine except I painted mine hot pink...lol!

Kim said...

hi Jean
thanks so much for the shout out...
I love your latest abstract...the colour and the texture ...so rich and buttery...
your pegboard is so organized!!!
lol your little wooden dolls look a little tanned too ;)

Clare said...

Wow! Didn't know you did abstracts.
Your helpers are sassy. Are you sure they are ready to go back to work?

Jean Levert Hood said...

Joni, my pleasure entirely!! Thank you!

-----

Diane, you're making my day! Your kind compliments are so encouraging!

-----

Manon, now a hot pink pegboard is an idea that I'd not thought of! I'm glad you like my abstract!

-----

Hey Kim -
There are a few parts of my studio that might be described as a train wreck. I don't take pics of those! Truly though, it's pretty organized. That abstract was the first internet contest I ever entered!

-----

Clare, yes, sassy, and perhaps getting more so. They are not getting much work done. I do the occasional abstract. I really enjoy them, it is such a different process from my 'regular' work!

-----

Martha said...

"With The Wind" WOW!!!! - dang, these letters aren't tall enough.

Anonymous said...

I like attitude!!!

Janis

Mary said...

Jean, I love to visit your blog--everything about it is creative and fun--right down to the adventures of your wooden figures.

I have always loved the wind (except for hurricanes and such, of course), and your abstract captures the wildness and excitement the wind can bring just beautifully.

Your studio pegboard is a great idea--fun to see--and I share your love for having favorite containers in the studio, like the hand-made pottery drinking "glasses" my sister brought us from a sojourn in the Grand Canyon, now become brush holders.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Martha, thank you sooooo much!!

-----

Janis, it may start seeping out of them!

-----

Mary - Thank you for taking the time to comment! I have a lot of pottery as brush and supply holders. I always look for local pottery on our travels, it never fails to attract my eye first! I appreciate the lovely comments on my blog and painting - Thank you!

Susie Monday said...

Love seeing your work -- and thanks for the Titter follow. Now, if it would only rain. Susie

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you so much, Suzie! Ah, yes, rain. - a distant memory! Have a great day!