Saturday, July 4, 2009

Abstracts, Sheep, Cactus

You know I occasionally paint abstracts. This piece below was a special request from my nephew. This one is 18 x 24 inches.

daniel's abstract


He recently moved and asked me to paint a companion piece to be hung on the side of the 1st one. This piece is also 18 x 24 inches.

abstract

The piece below is a 12 x 12 inch square, another that I painted as a surprise for him. Yes, I am shamelessly vying for Aunt of the Year and this should surely get me ahead of my sisters.

abstract

I'll leave you with sheep - love these black faced sheep!

DSC_0161resizedresizedresizedresized

and this amazing cactus bloom - This cactus bloom is so beautifully colored. It has brilliant orange, as well as deep magenta and yellow. Simply splendid!

DSC_0121resizedresized

You'll find my small watercolors and smallest oils in my Etsy store. Work on Etsy is priced from $10.00.

You can purchase my oil paintings and studies on my website . You can find me on Twitter and Facebook, too!

Be sure to click here to sign up for my monthly newsletter!

I've heard from my helpers, and they are not ready to come home yet....

june beach #2

Till next time!

18 comments:

Martha said...

I like your abstracts but, as far as aunt of the year, I'm running too and I'm using chocolate.

Jean Levert Hood said...

No fair Martha!!!!!! You'll win!

Felicia Kramer said...

LOL - I'm running for aunt of the year with special arts/crafts gifts too - and for me it's a tough job. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-40 nieces and nephews! Love the abstracts, Jean!

Jean Levert Hood said...

How awesome to have so many Felicia!!
I'm glad you like the abstracts. I really enjoy doing them now and then. So happy you stopped by!

Jill said...

Good luck with the Aunt of the Year. Chocolate is a tough competitor, but your abstracts witll last longer. :)

Mary said...

Will you be my aunt? I promise you a lock on the award (just don't tell my aunts, please).

These abstracts are terrific--thanks for showing us. I also enjoy shaking up my painting habits with an occasional abstract. Your fine use of color and composition are a good reminder that it has been awhile since I have enjoyed painting an abstract.

psychiceveryday said...

I love the first one a LOT! They are all wonderful, Jean. You are totally the aunt of the year. Except when I am. :))

Jean Levert Hood said...

Mary, you made me laugh! I really appreciate the feedback on my abstracts. I agree, and changing mediums also is a good idea to shake up the cobwebs!

----

Thank you for dropping by Jill!!
-----

Thank you so much Kris! That 1st one is my favorite, too! I love being an aunt!

Marionette said...

Jean,
Love the abstracts! To me they are so hard to paint...I never know where to stop!!! I'm running for Aunty of the year too and am doing it through bubbles and playing in the sand!! LOL

Aloha,
Marionette

Clare said...

Jean,
Abstracts,how interesting. I love them! Such a wonderful play on color.

Debra James Percival said...

Wonderful, I love your abstracts.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Marionette, I don't often do abstracts, but I really do enjoy them. I kind of have to wait until I "see" them inside before I can paint them. They don't start as easily for me as a representative painting, for sure. Oh, bubbles and sand! Those were good days!

-----

Clare, thank you so much, you know how much I love color!

-----

Hi Debra! I'm glad you like them, and thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment! I really appreciate it!

gnomegarden said...

gorgeous post Jean!!! That first painting is super yummy.

Diane Clancy said...

Hi Jean -

These are so cool!!

There is a little something for you over at my blog.

http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2009/07/premio-meme-award/

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog

www.DianeClancy.etsy.com

cynthia said...

Love your abstracts - especially the surprise one!

It's fresh to see your other side once in awhile too. :)

My sister in law has already been voted aunt of the year...according to my daughter.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Dawn, thank you so much!!

-----

Diane, you are so sweet! THank you for the award!!

-----

Cynthia, good to hear from you! I've enjoyed your vacation photos! It's been fun to find so many others running for Aunt of the Year!

Carol Schiff Studio said...

Love your abstract Jean. Do you ever put them on Etsy?

Jean Levert Hood said...

Carol, thank you for stopping by! I do have one abstract on my web site right now, but I only have small watercolors on Etsy.