Monday, June 15, 2009

Purple Heron Oil Painting, Fallow Deer, Nueces River

My somewhat fanciful water bird, Purple Heron is posted on Etsy.

Purple Heron

I have fun painting water birds - expanding and contracting shapes, playing with color. This little oil sketch is 7 inches wide by 5 inches tall and is available for $55.00. I'm working on a realistic painting of a heron at the moment. I'm planning to finish it this week.

detail:

Purple Heron

Fallow Deer

I was out photographing with my friend Genie and we saw these fallow deer. What a beautiful animal! They were beside the road, having escaped whatever fencing they were in. They stayed close to each other and touched one another frequently. These two weren't very concerned with my vehicle and we got to watch them for some time. What a treat to find something so unexpected like this. But it seems that every time Genie and I go on a photo safari, we find something unexpected! It's fun seeing through each others eyes, we notice things so differently.

DSC_0110resizedresized

fallow deer resized

I looked them up and found this photograph of fallow deer with mature horns/antlers. Wikipedia calls them antlers and only the males have them. (I'm not sure which they are called, in reading I've found them referred to both ways.) What a magnificent animal! I would love to see some of these antlers.

We have many exotic animals in our area of Texas. I love it when our game camera catches them on our property. We've had elk, axis deer, and others come through. Occasionally they will stay a while, which we love!

Neuces River

This is one of my favorite spots along the West Prong of the Nueces. I photographed it late in May. The reflections are always great, the water clear, the landscape is interesting. This beautiful water flows through the Texas Hill County and is a vacation spot in many areas. You'll find great spots for camping, boating, canoeing, fishing, hiking,tubing, bird watching, and nature areas.

DSC_0212 landscape  resized

Here's the same spot photographed in Fall and below is my painting of the site.

nueces in fall photo resized

Fall colors:

Nueces in Fall, oil painting

© Jean Levert Hood 2008, Nueces in Fall

You'll find my small watercolors and smallest oils in my Etsy store . Work on Etsy is priced from $10.00.

You can purchase my oil paintings and studies on my website .

You can find me on Twitter and Facebook, too! Be sure to click here to sign up for my monthly newsletter!

They're asking for a vacation. I'm not sure what to do. I'll keep you updated. Till next time!

mannequin june

17 comments:

Nancy and the fatties said...

Jean, beautiful colors and texture in your new painting!

Manon Doyle said...

I agree with Nancy and love all the texture in your paintings!
I learn something new every time I read your posts!

Anonymous said...

The heron is beautiful.
The fallow deer are interesting and appear to be very gentle.

Janis

Marionette said...

Jean,
I just love the purple heron! What fun colors! And the deer are amazing. We actually have some black tail deer in Kokee on Kauai. Haven't seen them up close yet, though. Thank you for sharing your beautiful art. You are such a kind and generous person!

Aloha from Kauai,
Marionette

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you so much, Nancy! hugs to the pugs!

-----

Manon, Thank you! I love thick paint, and wait to get to that part of every painting where I can really lay it on.

-----

Janis, I'm glad you like my heron. Those deer did seem so very gentle. I wonder if perhaps they were raised very close to people.

-----
hey Marionette! I didn't know you had deer there - how interesting! Our native deer are white tails. Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it!

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

love the palatte!!

Karen Faulkner said...

I love your colorful herons, Jean!

Debra James Percival said...

Jean, I love the Heron!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you Robin!

-----

Karen, you have one of my favorites!!

-----

Debra, thank you so much!

brendathour said...

Jean, I love both the egret and landscape paintings. The colors are so rich and gorgeous that it makes me want to pull out my oils again, it's been awhile.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Jean,
I again featured your second batch of paintings at my Literatti- An Artistic Blog. Please come over to my site to see it. Hope you will like it. Thanks and God bless you always.

Mary said...

The purple heron is fantastic, Jean. What fun to choose a fanciful palette and just fly!

The fall landscape on the river also vibrates with color--love it!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Brenda, thank you so very much! Yes, get out those oils - Just think how it feels, like dipping in to soft butter - go for it!

-----

Mel - thank you for visiting, and thank you so much for the feature. I'm so honored by your kindness.

-----

Hey Mary! I simply must just have fun now and then! Usually I do this with watercolors, but I've had fun with a few small ones in oil. Thank you for commenting!

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Jean - the paintings and the photographs are so beautiful....

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you so much, Michelle!!

Sadia Hussain said...

Beautiful lines in your Fall painting, and the colors of the heron are just great!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Sadia, thank you so much! I appreciate the visit and nice comment!