Monday, June 8, 2009

Plumbago Oil Painting, Birds, Linda Blondheim

Plumbago in May - original oil painting:

Plumbago, plien air oil painting

I painted outside often in May, the weather was really nice. I choose the flowers on my patio for several of my subjects. This is the plumbago stem I painted. I'd shown a bit of it before, now it's dry enough to scan for you. This piece is 8 inches tall by 6 inches wide, and is available for sale on my website for $75.00, which includes shipping and insurance. These small pieces of art are an inexpensive way to start your original art collection!

Birds and Blooms

We have 9 bird houses on our patio. I caught this bird just as it left the fence headed to it's house. I've been watching it every evening when I sit in my swing. I need to be very ready to get a better shot! The mom and pop are always working in the house.

DSC_0003001

I love shots where I catch the unexpected. Check out the very top of the next photo and you'll see the other male flying in, first like a bullet, second shot with his wings out.

DSC_0025resized

DSC_0030resized

This next shot shows the two males, and one has a red spot in the middle of that beautiful yellow! I've not noticed this difference before. I never cease to marvel at the Painted Bunting, what a remarkably colored bird!

DSC_0031resized



We have these huge moths that come out in the evening just before dusk. They dart around like hummingbirds. My attempts to get a good photo have been pretty unsuccessful. This is my best so far. The body is about the size of my thumb. My petunias and stock are their favorites.

Studio Shot

It's been a while since you've had a peak into my studio, this is just a part of my flower collection:
Untitled-69resized

Linda Blondheim

I've mentioned Linda Blondheim in the past. She is a Florida landscape painter, a friend, and a wonderful artist. You may know that I grew up in South Louisiana, so many of Linda's paintings feature scenes that are familiar.

Linda Blondhiem 2

© Linda Blondheim

I love her trees. She captures the moss so wonderfully in the piece below.

Linda Blondhiem 1

© Linda Blondheim

Linda's love for her part of our world shines through. She says "I am excited by the landscape and all of its mysteries. From the North Carolina mountains to the deep swamps of Alabama, Georgia and Florida. I love them all and it is a privilege to record them on canvas." Linda captures the Southeastern landscape in a wonderful way. I am honored to call her my friend.

If you're a painter, Linda Blondheim Art Notes Blog is a great blog. It's often like taking a mini workshop. Linda is discontinuing daily posts to this blog, but it will still be up to treat painters to a wealth of knowledge.

Be sure to click here to sign up for my monthly newsletter!

You'll find my small watercolors and smallest oils in my Etsy store . Work on Etsy is priced from $10.00. You can purchase my oil paintings and studies on my website . Check out my "What's going on in my studio this month" feature - you'll see some of May's work wet on the easel.

You can find me on Twitter and Facebook, too. Till next time!

mannequin with brushes

14 comments:

Pro Art Market Think Tank said...

Jean, I am deeply touched by your kindness and generosity.
Love,
Linda

Terry said...

Great job on the photography. Lovely little birds! And thanks for including the tidbit about Linda B. I love her work. Your blog is so nice and uplifting. Thank you. Terry

Manon Doyle said...

Your painting is just lovely Jean!
Thanks for sharing those incredible photos of the birds!

Mary said...

Jean, I love the brushwork and color variations in this painting--they make it vibrant!

Your generous words about LInda Blondheim are really on target. She is a fine human being as well as an incredible landscape painter. How good you are to write about her. I am also proud to call her friend, as well as painting mentor, and have been privileged to learn from her.

In fact, it is through your connection with Linda that I found your blog and your artwork (including your fine nature photography). I always am enriched by seeing your posts.

Nancy and the fatties said...

Jean, another wonderful post! I adore Linda's work and her wonderful advice to artists too. I saw one of those giant moths on Coronado Island in May and we thought it was a hummingbird at first! I had no idea they were here in Texas, too. love and hugs to you and the kitties and your bird menagerie...

oprina tiberiu said...

It's a great age to an artist. There are so many options and mediums to choose from, that the choice is virtually limitless. We mustn't forget where it has all started: The Renaissance Italy which was invaluable for the development of European culture. During this time, there was a great surge in every field of human endeavor, especially in the arts and sciences. Find out more about art and all its wonders on http://monalisa.info/

oprina tiberiu said...

I consider art as one of the most nobile puirsuits of mankind and I really enjoy painting and paintings. Visit http://painted.com/ and you can find out about the history of painting and decorating, and various tools and techniques of the trade, as well as links to other relevant sources of information!

Jo Bradford said...

I have fingers crosssed my white plumbago will flower this summer so that I can send yo a picture xx

thewildhare said...

Dear Jean, what wonderful photos of the Painted Bunting! And what a beautiful painting of the Plumbago. I really think I may have to come back and pick it up - I tried again to grow one here, we will see if it can survive in my garden.

And what a lovely tribute to Linda and her work. It is beautiful, and your description was beautiful to read as well! Thank you as always for sharing with us!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Linda, entirely my pleasure!

-----

Terry, thank you for commenting! It's been challenging learning how and where I can get the best photos, but mostly it's been just plain fun.

-----

Thank you Manon! more photos to come!

-----

Mary, thank you for such a nice comment on my painting. I really appreciate that. I've found several blogger friends through Linda's blogs, too. Her 'tribe' is large! I am so glad that you enjoy my posts. I love sharing all of the beauty we have.

-----

Nancy - Hey lady! Hope you're doing great this week. Yes, our Linda is one fine person.
When the moths first started coming, I thought they were hummingbirds too. They are the same size, dart around the same, and buzz you! Hugs to the pugs!

-----

Jo - I want to see that white plumbago!!! Best to you!

-----

Hi Kimberly! I've enjoyed your blog so much. Your love of family is so touching. I'm glad you're trying a plumbago. Through my blog I've found that they grow in many conditions. Mine is getting thicker now, and I'm hoping our summer heat will be gentle on it. We're starting to have more of those 100 degree F days! Take care!

Debra James Percival said...

I love your bird photos Jean, they made me smile!

brendathour said...

Jean, I love reading your posts. They are always full of beauty. I do believe the moth is called a Hummingbird Moth. I did a painting of it not too long ago. The painted buntings are stunning. I have never seen them before, so it's a real treat! I am always amazed at how many types of birds there are.
Thank you for sharing the beautiful artwork of Linda Blondheim. I will be visiting her blog next.

Marionette said...

Jean,
I love your new painting and the photos of those cute birds are fantastic! They are so colorful!!

Linda's art is exceptional as well!

Aloha from Kauai,
Marionette

Jean Levert Hood said...

Debra, I'm so glad you enjoyed them!

-----

Brenda, Thank you for taking time to comment! Isn't that funny that it is a Hummingbird Moth! I love seeing birds and animals from other's locations, such a beautiful world we live in!

-----

Hey Marionette!

I'm glad you like my painting! Those birds are just amazing.