Monday, June 22, 2009

Althea - Oil Painting, Baby Chicks and Ducks, Lavender, Helper's Vacation

Althea is a new oil painting, 9 inches tall by 12 inches wide. It's not listed for sale just yet, it needs to dry a little more. If you are interested in this painting prior to listing, just let me know!

Althea, Oil Painting

Althea, Detail:

Althea, Oil Painting


We have baby chick and ducks!

The order was for 6 "assorted" ducks, so I have no idea what they are, and we have Rhode Island Red chickens. These photos show them at about a week and a half old. They grow so fast it is amazing. Some of the photos are a little fuzzy, these little creatures never stop moving!

DSC_0066resized

DSC_0068resized

DSC_0070resized

DSC_0076resized

This little dark colored duck is my favorite. It looks like he totally got into some serious gel/mousse.

DSC_0077resized

DSC_0082resized

I'll keep you updated on their growth. Ultimately, the ducks will go to Lake Jean.


Lavender is one of my all time favorite herbs. It can withstand our Texas summers, happily make it through our droughts, and enjoys our mild winters. It even likes our poor soil! In my view, it rivals rosemary in the hardy category and blooms beautifully. I try to have different varieties growing so I can enjoy blooms over a long period of time.

My cats love to lay in the cool under it's shade, then they smell so good!

Lavender is grown commercially in the Hill Country and there are several places where you can pick your own bundles of this scented wonder, as well as enjoy many products made from it's flowers.

You know I love the lavender fields at Becker Vineyards. Their website tells of 4 varieties of lavenders planted, blooming in May and June. I've painted the fields many times, both on location and from my photos. They are located between Stonewall and Fredericksburg. Between Fredericksburg and Johnson City you'll find Hummingbird Farms. They have been growing lavender since 2003 on this working farm. Blanco has Hill Country Lavender - Texas' first commercial lavender farm with 2500 lavender plants.

Through June 30th you can enjoy Blanco Lavender Days fair/festival. There will be special lavender events all month, call 830-833-5101.

You can also Pick Your Own Lavender in Bandera through 30th, every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Call the Lavender Farm at 830-966-5105. The Hill Country is a great place to be!

Lavender fields:
These are photos taken at Becker's mid April of last year, which would be early in the bloom season.

You'll find my small watercolors and smallest oils in my Etsy store . Work on Etsy is priced from $10.00.

You can purchase my oil paintings and studies on my website . Check out my "What's going on in my studio this month" feature - it's been updated several times this month. You'll see what's wet on the easel.

You can find me on Twitter and Facebook, too!

Be sure to click here to sign up for my monthly newsletter!


They decided on the beach.
June beach #1

17 comments:

Julie said...

Beautiful painting, Jean. The colours you choose always appeal to me! We are supposed to be getting some chicks, too - as soon as we get our chicken house built! Nothing like farm fresh eggs. Your helper vignettes always crack me up!

ZudaGay said...

Lovely post!! I just LOVE Althea!!! Is there anything any cuter than baby ducks and chicks? Well, any baby animal. :) I would love to walk through a field of lavender blooming. I just can't imagine...

Martha said...

I love the purple and blues you put into your paintings. I'm dieing to know what that black duckling is going to turn into.

Sue O'Kieffe said...

make way for ducklings! the little dark one might be a half breed mallard/domestic cross. im pretty sure the brown and gold one is mallard (i had ducklings as a kid.)

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you Julie! We do love our fresh eggs, and our friends get happy about them too. I have fun with my helpers, glad you enjoy them!!

-----

Hey Zuda! You're so right, any baby animal is cute! The lavender is really beautiful. Thank you so much for commenting!

-----

Martha, you know I'll be holding myself back to not post baby chick/duck photos every blog!! So you'll get to see what he becomes. I'm glad you like my painting, thank you!

-----

Sue, I'm so glad you stopped by! Thank you for the duck help! When we said "assorted," that's what we got! I'd hoped the invoice would specify, but it didn't.

Sixsisters said...

Wonderful Jean ! So restful to read and look at your
pictures of nature. Thanks again for a terrific post.

Tommy Thompson said...

Jean, Marie says the althea brings back her childhood; that was one of her favorites. The lavender is beautiful; your description helps us to almost smell the perfume of the plant. Thanks for this nice break to a humid Alabama morning. We need to visit Texas again; you are blessed with such unusual surroundings. Best, Tommy and Marie

Lily Pang said...

Beautiful Althea. Such a splendid weave.

Nice to see the little chicks and ducks. It's must be very fun to rise them.

I like lavender very much as well. The wide field of purple just makes you very happy.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Joan! I'm so glad you like my posts! It'll be fun to show the chicks and ducks growing up!

-----

Tommy, That flower is from a photo taken in my mom's yard in So. Louisiana. They get so gorgeous there! I hope you and Marie aren't having the terrible heat my family is near Baton Rouge. It was 100 degrees there yesterday. Best to you, and your exhibition coming up!

-----

Lily, it's good to hear from you! I hope you had a wonderful vacation! Thank you for stopping by and commenting. I appreciate it!

brendathour said...

I love your new painting Jean, the colors are fabulous, and the baby chicks are adorable!!! Are you planning on doing a painting of them?

Clare said...

Jean,
Love the Althea and the baby chicks and ducks. Please keep us updated on their growth. Sooooo glad your helper had a chance go to the beach!

psychiceveryday said...

I love your ducks! That dark duck looks like a punk duck, so cute.

Your paintings always inspire me with their beauty, simplicity, and space. Your colors are lovely. Nice work, Jean.

I've finally gotten around to adding a proper blogroll to my new blog, and you are on it. Happy Summer!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Brenda, thank you so much! I appreciate the feedback! I probably will do a small piece or 2 of the little chicks and ducks, I've had fun painting the grown chickens and roosters, so this should be in the line up, I guess!

-----

Hey Clare! I'll promise to not update every blog and have nothing but fowl! Yes, my helpers are working on their tans, I haven't heard from them in a few days...

-----

Kris,Thank you for such a lovely compliment. I am honored, and thank you also for adding me to your blog roll!

A punk Duck - That is perfect!

DebbieOverton said...

I always enjoy dropping by for a visit and tonight was just delightful. Lavender, baby chicks and ducks and your gorgeous painting!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Debbie! I'm so glad you did come by! And appreciate that you took the time to leave a comment, too!

Diane ~ said...

What a great post! Althea is gorgeous!! & I laughed out loud at the black duckling with the "serious gel/mousse" in his hair!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Diane, thank you so much!! I am so glad you like my painting, and it's great that you had a laugh from my little happy hair duck!