Monday, May 18, 2009

Poppies Oil Painting - Yes, More Poppies, Berries and Blooms

"Poppies" is a recently listed oil painting available here in my Etsy store. I think I paint poppies as much as irises. I do love painting flowers. I know I say that about landscapes too! Whatever I'm painting that day seems to be my favorite.

Poppies, Oil painting

detail:

Poppies, Oil painting

This piece measures 6 inches tall by 8 inches wide, oil on canvas panel. It's priced at $55.00.

Did I tell you I've started my newsletter again? You can go to my website and sign up for it! It'll be emailed to you once or twice a month. Click here to visit the sign up page.

  • Onto berries and blooms....

The Retama is beautiful. This tree has green bark and rather nasty thorns. These tiny little flowers are beautiful and it continues to bloom throughout the summer. Rains bring more blooms our way. The foliage of this tree is so graceful.

Our deer browse the foliage and will enjoy the legumes to come. Bobwhite quail (we have Blue Quail also) and other birds eat the seeds and the bees are enjoying the blooms now.

DSC_0019resized DSC_0021001 DSC_0002resized

Seed pods are already forming on early blooming bushes:

DSC_0022resized

I love these fuzzy berries. This is called Littleleaf Sumac. Littleleaf Sumac is one of our few thornless plants. Everything out here seems to have thorns! The hairy little fruits are beginning to mature and will feed quail, turkeys and birds. It's a good nesting place for birds, the bush is dense and provides protection.

DSC_0031001

You'll find my small watercolors and smallest oils in my Etsy store . Work on Etsy is priced from $10.00.

My oil paintings and studies are on my website .

You can find links in the side bar to join me on Facebook and Twitter.

Until next time!

mannequin may

15 comments:

Diane ~ said...

Wonderful posting Jean! I love your work whether it's in oil or film, it's always beautiful! ~ :)

Manon Doyle said...

Hi Jean! Your poppies are so beautiful! Thanks for the post.... it was very informative!

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

beautiful! I love your poppies :)

Nancy and the fatties said...

Beautiful colors, Jean - it has been so fun following your tweets, you are my wired friend. : )

Terry said...

Wat to go on the newsletter! I'll be signing up.

Terry

Sylvia Outlaw said...

So nice enjoy your paintings and photos.

Kris Cahill said...

Beautiful paintings and photos, Jean. I love how you share and tell stories about the local flora. Wonderful! I've subscribed via Bloglines to yours also. Thank you for all of your kind comments.

Lily Pang said...

Beautiful poppies and flowers! So glad to see them.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hi Diane! Thank you so very much!

-----
Manon, I appreciate that! I hope folks will check out your blog, you'll see some great work from Manon, very expressive. http://manondoyle.blogspot.com/

-----

Thank you Cat! Painting poppies is in my top 10 list of things I like to paint.

-----

Nancy, Truly, I don't "get" Twitter too well, but I'm seeing more of a rhythm in it, and it's great for posting to Facebook also. Huggys to the Puggys!

-----

Terry, thank you for signing up for my newsletter! It's been a long time coming, that's for sure. May's went out earlier, and I'll have one for June that I'll start working on next week. Here is Terry's blog:
http://adventuresinpleinair.com/

-----

Sylvia, thank you for visiting and commenting!

-----

Kris, Thank you for subscribing! (Don't you love bloglines) It's so fun sharing my world. My blog sometimes makes me forget that I live so far away from the city, the blog world is a great place to share.

-----

Lily, thank you! Have a great vacation!

Clare said...

Love the poppies Jean. The ranch seems to be really pretty this year. You must have had rain to have so much blooming.

Karine said...

Hi Jean!

Your blog is fun. I have enjoyed the cactus flower photos, especially. Yes, we definitely have similar blogging styles. Happy Blogoversary!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Clare, we've had 3 little rains in the last 2 months, and that is significant! Yes, it's really a pretty spring.

-----

Karine, I love your blog! Yes, I love my area of Texas, so rich and beautiful, and I love to share it! Thank you for stopping by!

Jo Bradford said...

I have been featuring a lot of red poppies in my work recently... and seeing poppies pop up all over... found while reading Pablo Neruda, and while visiting the Picasso Museum in Spain, and while visiting Karen Faulkner and Jean Levert Hoods shops....
We all love a good poppy!

Enzie at World Market Portraits said...

Jean your blog is lovely! These poppies you have painted are gorgeous! Love the vibrancy and brush strokes!

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

Beautiful photos!