Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mariachi Oil Painting, Birds and a Bunny

Mariachi is my new oil painting. It's 12 inches tall by 9 inches wide and available for purchase on my website.

Mariachi © 2009 Jean Levert Hood

In our nearby Mexican border towns, you'll find Mariachi serenading those who stop to listen on the street, or playing at your table in a restaurant. After a song or two they move on to the next table. I Googled "Mariachi" and "San Antonio" (San Antonio is 125 miles away) and saw so many local Mariachi bands for hire! Their unique type of music is very familiar our these border areas. Wikipedia has nice article on them if you'd like to learn more.

Marionette, also known as Kauai Artist is hosting this month's exhibition of Worldwide Women Artists Online. You can find the exhibit at this link. The theme is Fantasy Island. Marionette also featured me in her recent newsletter. I hope you enjoy them both.

I have more birds for you. This is the season, that's for sure. We're filling the flax seed feeder every other day and are wondering what these birds ate before we started feeding them! I captured this little humming bird getting a drink:

and here are painted buntings, the one on the left is very fluffy from his bath:

and here they seem to look right at me:

And last, this little bunny was waiting for me this morning just outside my studio:


You'll find my small watercolors and smallest oils in my Etsy store . Work on Etsy is priced from $10.00.

You can purchase my oil paintings and studies on my website . Till next time!

mannequin may

11 comments:

Karine said...

Such wonderful bird/fountain shots!! When we lived in Colorado, I had a small patch of grass I watered. I used to love to sit with my sketchbook and watch the birds bathe and drink in the sprinkler. Thanks for bringing that lovely memory back!!!

Nice painting!!! I love Mariachi music.

Judith HeartSong said...

I love rabbits!

Manon Doyle said...

Your new painting is great Jean! I just love Mariachi bands!

Sixsisters said...

Jean love the new Mariachi painting. It has a very
nice feel to it.
I saw a little bunny in my back alley today ! I saw the
Mom or Dad last week. He was so small. I have never
seen rabbits in the city before.

Clare said...

Love the painting. Hope the bunny sticks around.

Anonymous said...

Hello from Georgia. We are feeding the birds right next to the motorhome. Love the painting. Miss you. Gerrie

Anonymous said...

Love the new pics. The chickadees in the nest by the house have fledged. I got strafed by the hummingbirds again.

Janis

Marionette said...

Jean,
What a wonderful post - as usual! I love the Mariachi, the birds, and the bunny (he is so cute)! Thank you for mentioning the WWAO show which will be over at the end of May.

Aloha from Kauai,
Marionette

Jean Levert Hood said...

Karine,
I'm so glad you enjoyed the memories! It's so very peaceful on my porch.

-----

Hey Judith! I do love little bunnies! I can get carried away. I have a bunch of fetishes collected on my travels, cement/clay ones in my garden, and a few others here an there.. .... need more in my garden.

-----

Manon, I'm so glad you like the painting! The sound of Mariachi bands is so unique!

-----

Thank you Joan! Oh, I love to see the tiny little bunnies. They get behind one blade of grass and think you can't see them! How wonderful to see them in your city, I hope it comes back.

-----

Clare, the bunnies are plentiful, no problem there. They are so cute, I never get tired of seeing them, they always make me smile!

-----

Gerrie, how awesome to hear from you! I never thought of your travels like this, but how wonderful to see new birds all along your journey, I love that! Glad you like my painting, consider yourself bear-hugged!!

----

Janis, watch those hummers, they can really whiz by! We have a mockingbird on a nest just outside of my studio. I hope to be able to get pics soon.

-----

Thank you Marionette! I so appreciate that! all the best to you!

Nancy and the fatties said...

Another colorful, vibrant work! Jean, do you get to San Antonio much? Carlos and I had our honey moon there and we are overdue for another visit. So enjoy the nature photos, and the little wet birdies. Jean Pierre, get the hair mist and blowdryer, these birdies need a towel!
love to you and the kittyhelpers...

Jean Levert Hood said...

Nancy, Thank you so much! I usually get to San Antonio once a month. It's a great city, lots to do! I bet it was great for a honeymoon! The botanical gardens are fabulous, as is the zoo, the River walk, I can go on and on! Go before it gets too hot!
hugs to the pugs!