Friday, April 3, 2009

Poppies, Abstracted - new oil painting!

Poppies, Abstracted -I enjoy painting abstracts from time to time.

Abstract: Poppies Oil Painting

This one didn't start out that way. The method I use to paint starts with an abstract "block in." This piece was to be a poppy painting, yet I liked the abstract block in so much that I continued in that fashion.

Detail:

Abstract: Poppies Oil Painting

Poppies, Abstracted is 12 inches tall by 9 inches wide. It is available on my website, along with my other oil paintings, studies and demos.


Wild flowers

We have 3 kinds of wild verbenas. This one is my favorite.

verbena

It's the most showy of the 3 and of course, it's my favorite color! When we have normal rains these bloom all but the 2 coldest months of the year. They really make a pretty show and if volunteers come up in my herb garden I tend them and encourage them.

I've planted quite a bit this year. I'm only needing rosemary now, they didn't have it when I bought most of my plants for the season. If herbs can take our heat they do well here, as most prefer less than stellar soil and prefer our too frequent lack of rain. After I get the plants established they will need little water. This summer will keep my on my toes with watering and tending, but after this year they will be fine with little care.

I want to thank the kind artists who featured me last month. Jordanka featured me on her blog on March 8th. Jordanka paints wonderful trees. Brenda Thour featured me on her blog on March 8th, and also featured me on the Design Style Guide Blog.

I am honored, and I thank you both so very much!

You can purchase my small watercolor and oil paintings in my Etsy store where you'll find them priced from $10.00.

You'll find my oil paintings on my main web site as well as my "What's going on in my studio this month" feature. I will be posting a painting in progress soon. You'll see a progression of photos from start to finish of a landscape painting. Stay tuned!


My little helpers really liked the gardening idea and want to help. mannequin gardening Till next time!

14 comments:

ZudaGay said...

What a cool painting!! Isn't it fun when the medium takes over and you have to go with the flow? We are getting ready to plant a garden soon. Waiting for the tilling guy.

Genie said...

I love the abstract, the colors are awesome! But I have to say, this is my favorite mannequin photo yet!

Sixsisters said...

Love the shapes and colors in this one Jean.
Verbena is one of my favs. Thanks again for a great blog.

Manon Doyle said...

Awesome painting Jean! I love everything about it..... colors, shapes..... it's fantastic!

Karen Faulkner said...

Love the color palette of the poppies!

brendathour said...

I love this painting Jean, it is absolutely beautiful. Love abstracts. Was hoping to paint yesturday, but had a very lazy day and did nothing, kinda felt like a cream puff.
And you are most welcome. Hugs

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you, Zuda! oh, yes, I love it when that happens, those wonderful ones that seem to paint themselves. Happy gardening!

-----
Hey Genie, This one was really fun with the mannequins. I have some of Lisa's miniatures, it was perfect for this!

-----

I appreciate that so much, Joan! I'm so glad you like my blog, that brings me a smile!

-----

Manon, thank you! I am enjoying a few abstracts lately. As much as I have to reign in my color usage, I love letting it free in the abstracts.

-----

Karen, thank you so much, I appreciate that!

-----
Brenda, I love it - feeling like a cream puff. I have a good visual of that! Those lazy days can fuel our creativity, though, we need time off.

Rose said...

Jean, you've done it again! Amazed me with another wonderful painting! And your mannequins are cool too.

cynthia said...

Nice, Jean - I love the abstract quality of your brush strokes to begin with and love when you stretch it a bit more!

The verbena are wonderful - sigh - we were on our way to an early spring, but winter decided to remind us that she's not done with Colorado yet.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Rose, you are so kind, thank you very much! I do love my little helpers!

-----

Hey Cynthia! Your winter has been pretty wild this year, for sure. I hope you do get some spring time soon.
I've done a few more abstracts than normal lately. It's something that I never plan, they just happen. (very fun!) I've not studied abstracts enough to actually plan one before hand.

John said...

I love verbena, remember it fondly growing wild in south Florida...gems along pathways like a painted bunting female....

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey John! Glad you stopped by! Yes, that's a good way to describe them, gems. Often they are the only flower that pops up in spite of our droughts.

Oh, yes, and those female painted buntings!

christine said...

Jean, I love the abstracted poppies! The colors are just wonderful!!

Also, I wanted to let you know I've given you the Passion for Painting award on my blog :)

Christine

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you so much for the award, Christine! What a thrill!!