Thursday, April 9, 2009

I bought a new painting! Rose Refour

Betty Refour is an artist that I met online. We are in a wonderful group together, WWAO - Worldwide Women Artists Online. Betty's sister Rose has autism. Rose is an artist too, she loves to paint. Betty is Rose's caregiver and encourages her art.

Betty says of Rose: "Rose has been drawing for as long as I can remember but is new to painting. Her favorite medium is red ink. She is mostly nonverbal and will often use art to express herself. Having a conversation with her sometimes is like playing pictionary. She is self taught and has had the opportunity to be a part of several group shows around the country. Her work can be found in private collections around the world."

I saw this piece below on Betty's blog and I had to buy it. This is about the happiest painting I have ever seen! Rose also has greeting cards for sale in Betty's Etsy shop. Her work is very reasonably priced and Betty champions this cause with a percent of Rose's painting sales going to Autism initiatives. She has a special section in her shop for Autism Awareness.

Rose painted this piece on her birthday:

Rose Refour

© Rose Refour 2009

Betty said "when she got up that morning she put on her favorite dress, one of her most admired jewel crowns and then painted her face. After all it was her birthday and she was queen...if only for a day."

This piece is now mine! I think it's such a happy painting. It makes me smile each time I see it.

This is a new piece that Rose just finished:

Rose Refour 2

© Rose Refour 2009

"Look" is available for only $20.00 in Betty's Etsy shop.

Title: Look - (Betty says this is the title because that's all Rose would say when finished!)
Medium: Mixed Media on Canvas Panel
Size: 7 x 5 inches
Date: 2009

I'll keep watching for Rose's work, she brings smiles into our world.



Please visit my Etsy store for original watercolor paintings priced from $10.00. My Etsy store carries my small works.

Don't miss my website for my oil paintings and to see my "What's going on in my studio this month" feature!

15 comments:

Julie B said...

How lucky you are to own such a painting, Jean! It is more than just paint on paper, it is joy and love, too and that just shines out of it. Beautiful.

Sixsisters said...

Such a beautiful happy painting ! You are the owner
of a treasure Jean. I love the work .

Karen Faulkner said...

Oh, I just love the one you bought. Such brightness and possibility shines through. I'll be sure to check out her other work.

Betty Refour said...

Thanks so much Jean. We really appreciate it. Whenever something of hers sells she makes a list of about 200 things she would like to buy with the proceeds. Nail polish usually tops the list but this time an Easter Basket was her number one thing on the list and that's what she got. It contains two of her top ten things to buy which are press on nails and a doll. She can hardly wait until Sunday - I told her she would have to wait until then to open it. Thank you for your constant support of my efforts.

Nancy and the fatties said...

Jean, doesn't this painting just make your heart sing? I love it.
sending many hugs to you today!

Genie said...

Oh, wow! Just wow. I love them both, they both speak!

dianeclancy said...

Hi Jean ...

This is a LOVELY painting!! I can see why you bought it - really lovely!! A treasure.

Thanks for sharing this - the painting, about Rose and about autism!

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.DianeClancy.etsy.com

Sylvia Outlaw said...

It is a wonderful painting, I can see why you fell in love with it.

makeart said...

Just wonderful!!! And to support such an important cause. Congrats on your new painting!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you Julie! Yes, I think I'm lucky too. I found it before it was even listed anywhere, and nabbed it fast!

-----

Joan, yes, it will be one of my treasures.

-----

Karen, do check out her other work! She is simply delightful.

-----

Betty, I thank YOU. You have given us all the gift of seeing Rose's work. Please tell her a special "Happy Easter" on Sunday for me. I'm so glad she found a doll, I love her shopping lists!

-----

Nancy, yes, it gave me such joy the moment I saw it!
Hugs to you my friend!

-----

Thank you Genie! It is just powerful. The 2nd piece is great, too, I agree.

-----

Hey Diane! I was thrilled to be able to share this.

-----

Sylvia, I appreciate that you stopped by! Yes, it's such a wonderful piece.

-----

Thank you Amanda! I am framing it today.

Diana said...

Jean, you are fortunate to own that very happy painting. It also makes me smile smile. I can imagine her being so happy because it was her birthday and she was the queen.

She captured her happiness in her art.

AltheaP said...

What a happy thing to look at every day!

Anonymous said...

Jean,

John and I are smiling.

Janis

Lynn said...

It is a delightful painting. Every time I look back at it my smile gets bigger.

Thanks for linking over to the site. Her work warrants watching as her art makes your heart sing.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Diana, It is just to precious, isn't it! I will love it forever.

-----

Yes Janine!!

-----

Janis, I was hoping he would get to see it, but I don't imagine that will happen. But he is always in my heart. Things like this make me think of him.

-----

Lynn, that is so true! the emotion in this piece is simply amazing.