Saturday, March 7, 2009

Watercolor painting of Heliconia and Mountain Laurel blooms!

The vivid colors of tropical flowers seem to be made for watercolor. This is Heliconia.
Detail:

Heliconia measures approximately 15 inches tall by 11 1/4 wide. This floral watercolor painting was inspired by my visits to Hawaii. I love flowers and that is the place for flowers! There are many species of this tropical flowering plant on the islands. Heliconia is available on my website for $125.00.

I've had the pleasure of getting to know Marionette, who goes by the name of Kauai Artist on Etsy. She paints wonderful watercolors of her beautiful island. I love her blog and newsletter. She always exudes the "Aloha" spirit. Do check out her work on Etsy.

The mountain laurel is blooming! It's not very thick and most of ours isn't blooming at all. It's simply too dry. This is the first year I've missed painting the one by the patio. Sigh.

This is a pretty display I found in Uvalde and the bees were loving it. The air smells like grape kool aid when you're around mountain laurel, so the bees thought they were in heaven and totally ignored me.



Please do visit my Etsy store for my small paintings priced from $10.00 to $395.00.

Don't miss my website for more oil paintings and to see my "What's going on in my studio this month" feature! There is one update already for March!

DSC_0006Till next time!

Thank you, Jean




20 comments:

Sixsisters said...

Thank you Jean for another great blog. The laurel is
beautiful !

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Jean! The Heliconia is so gorgeous!!

Genie said...

"Heliconia" has an almost fantastical feel to it. It's that colorful, fresh new vine of growth coming out from the plant that looks fantastical. Like a plant you'd see in a dream.

Debra James Percival said...

I love this painting (Heliconia). Your colors work so well.

Chris said...

What lovely warm colors!

brendathour said...

Jean, what a beautiful painting! The photos of the laurels (are they?) are gorgeous. Makes me REALLY want spring! Sitting here in Minnesota, not a thing is blooming and its snowing just south of us.
I really enjoy the little peeks into your studio. Very intriquing and makes me want to see more.
Hugs,
Brenda

Rose said...

Jean your watercolor painting is wonderful! Thank you for spotlighting Hawaii!

Marionette said...

Jean,
I can definitely see your "Aloha Spirit" in your painting of the heliconia! It is so beautiful! I love the colors!!! Wishing you a future return to the islands to gather more reference material!!!!

With Much Aloha,
Marionette

Manon Doyle said...

Your Heliconia is so beautiful! Hawaii is full of inspiring subjects!! Wonderful work!!

Clare said...

Jean
I think I want to live where tropical
plants like Heliconia grow. That is beautiful!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Joan, I appreciate you, thank you!

-----

Michelle, thank you! I hope everyone checks out your blog. Your recent photos are so amazing, and your small paintings are just delightful.

-----

Genie - I love that - Fantastical! The tropical flowers are so amazing. The colors are so vivid and these are just beautiful!

-----

Debra, I appreciate you dropping by! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

The new painting is lovely!

Janis

Lynn said...

Jean, your paintings are fantastic and uplift the spirit. My mountain laurels are blooming -- just barely since as you mentioned, we are extremely dry in Central Texas.

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

Susan Elkin said...

I was swept away at the amazingly exquisite paintings you create. The scope and breath that exudes from your paintings makes me stop and truly take in its magic.

Susan Elkin

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

The painting is fantastic!!!

Rose said...

Beautiful painting.. and how wonderful is the laurel.. blooming flowers already.. ah Texas!

Nancy and the fatties said...

Hi Jean - I would love to see your paintings of this mountain laurel, I bet they would be beautiful. You are a master with purples and blues and florals of all types.
sending you pughugs from North Texas this evening...

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you so much, Chris!

-----

Brenda - yes, those are mountain laurels! They are so pretty. This week we are actually getting some cool weather. Rain blew in ( the first in about 6 months) and it's cold! I do love sharing with you!

-----

Rose, You are so kind, thank you!

-----

Hey Marionette~~ I am so glad you like my painting! Yes, I do want to come back again. I don't think I'd ever get enough of your beautiful state!

-----

Hey Manon! Thank you so very much, I appreciate your comments!

-----

Clare, yes, wouldn't it be delightful to live in such a place!

-----

Thank you Janis!

-----
Lynn - Thank you, I'm so glad you like the painting! It's nice to hear from a fellow Hill Country blogger. We got 3 inches of rain yesterday. I hope y'all got some too.

-----

Hi Susan! It's so nice to hear from you. I am delighted that you stopped by, and I thank you for such a lovely, lovely compliment!

-----

Robin - thank you!

-----

Hey Rose- Yes, my corner of Texas is quite amazing! I'm glad you've had a visit in San Antonio. I hope the Mountain Laurels were blooming for you!

cynthia said...

Your Heliconia painting is simply beautiful Jean!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you Cynthia! I always appreciate you dropping by!