Monday, March 16, 2009

Iris Watercolor Painting and Spring!

It's time for one of my "Tiny Bits of Fine Art." A floral seems made for watercolor and this iris is too. I highlighted places with ink. I'm enjoying combining ink with watercolor painting.

Single Iris watercolor painting

Single Iris detail:

Single Iris watercolor painting

Irises are one of my favorite flowers and yes I probably say that about too many flowers! "Single Iris" is approximately 3 1/2 inches tall by 5 inches wide. It's sized for a 5x7 mat and priced at $22.00. I have several more of these little Iris paintings I'll be posting soon. Single Iris can be found here in my Etsy store!

I know I promised no more kitty pictures until my next blogging anniversary, but these are pertinent to the post. (You knew I'd find an excuse!) I was out walking to get some shots of the wonderful blooming trees and Stella walked with me as she often does. So, she is included in this post along with these spring blossoms. ( I slipped that right in here!)

stella blog 2

Blackbrush and Huisache are both in the Acacia families. Our deer are big fans of Blackbrush and browse it's leaves, legumes and flowers. Soon the seeds will keep our quail and many of our birds very happy. Hummingbirds and bees also love these flowers.

The air smells so sweet around the Blackbrush and Huishache! Even with our dry weather depriving us of wildflowers our trees seem to be full of blooms. We had 3 inches of rain last week so I am still hopeful for some wildflowers.

The Huisache trees are full of yellow-orange pom pom shaped blooms.

huisache blog 1


Stella blog 1

The Blackbrush are loaded with blooms. What a graceful shape!

DSC_0042resized

Ok, last one of Stella.

stella blog 3


Thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate my readers so very much.

Please visit my Etsy store for original watercolor and oil paintings priced from $10.00. You'll find my small works at Etsy.

Don't miss my website for oil paintings and to see my "What's going on in my studio this month" feature! The second update for March has been posted, you'll see what is Wet On the Easel.


Till next time!
Jean

16 comments:

ceevee said...

Lovely posting. And so good to see signs of spring and blooms. There might be hope for us in central OH.

jstinson said...

Gorgeous! As always. I so enjoy your posts. Reminds me of my time in Texas. Those were the good ole days!

mkcphotography said...

what a lovely iris! and i'm so jealous of the beautiful yellow blooms...can't wait for spring in PA!

Nancy and the fatties said...

Ah, I knew I would love this one when I saw "Iris" in the title on your blog, Jean. You are such a master of lavender colors and flowers. Oh more kitty pictures please! We love kitties.
xxxooo hugs from North Texas!!!

ZudaGay said...

I LOVE pictures of your kitties!! Stella is such a lovely girl! Getting to see your flowering trees and bushes is such a delight as we are so very much slower with spring than you are. I also LOVE your Iris...it just may be my favorite JLH painting...at least at the moment. :)

Manon Doyle said...

Lovely painting! Stella is adorable!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey CeeVee! We've had the warmest winter in my memory. I've been here 30 years and don't remember a winter as warm as this one. Good to see you!

-----

Joni- thank you so much! I love sharing my little corner of Texas. it's always nice when you drop by.

-----

Michelle, I'm glad you like my painting. Spring will come - and Summer will come tooo soon here!

-----

Hey Nancy - You are such a sweetie, thank you!

When I first started painting, it was so hard to not have every painting be violets and lavenders!

Oh, my kitties are just awesome. I have Stella and Clothilde. Their personalities are as different as night and day and both are great cats.
Hugs to the Pugs!

-----

Zuda, I was hoping you'd see Stella! this is my small one, she's only 15 pounds. I'm glad this is your favorite, take care Zuda!

-----

Manon - thank you! I'm glad you like my Stella! I so appreciate that you stopped by.

Sixsisters said...

I love the watercolor Jean. I also love the photos of the
kitty, she is a beauty !

Genie said...

Anything that inspires you and energizes you enough to keep painting your wonderful pieces, should be blogged. That means MORE CATS!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Joan - thank you!! Isn't Stella great!!

-----

Genie - ohhh, I'm just not sure! If it pertains to my art, I'll add them! Everyone seems to enjoy them from the comments!

Diane ~ said...

Your Iris are so Lovely ! And please keep pics of Stella coming, she's a beauty! :)

Anonymous said...

Steeellllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaa

Janis

Marionette said...

Jean,
I absolutely love the Iris painting. Its that pen & ink I see??? Adictive, isn't it!!! Ever since I started using pen & ink in my watercolors, I can't stop!

Your art is so lovely and so are you! Aloha from Kauai!
Marionette

Jean Levert Hood said...

Diane - Isn't Stella great! I'm so glad you like her, AND my Iris too! I appreciate the visit!

-----

Janis - you have no idea how many times I hear that on the porch......

-----

Hey Marionette!! Yes!! I am loving India Ink! I'm really having fun with these little watercolors. I haven't used it on anything larger yet. Thank you!

-----

Derek McCrea said...

Love the painting, but I love the kitty even more.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Derek, forgive me, I didn't see this comment earlier! I found it this a.m. because some spam was posted here...

Thank you for visiting, and yes, my kitty is just great! I do have to hold myself back at times from turning my art blog into a kitty blog! have a great day,
Jean