Friday, February 27, 2009

Water and birds!

I've shown you several oil paintings recently, so I think it's time for one of my Tiny Bits of Fine Art! I love painting water birds. (Do I open every post with "I love painting... ? I know I do this, but I don't think I could ever say, "Gee, I reallllly don't like painting these things... !)

This small watercolor painting is sized to fit in a standard 5 inch by 7 inch mat opening.



Detail:



This blue and violet bird is available here in my Etsy store for $19.00
.

Inspiration came because the game camera finally caught a heron at Lake Jean! I often see them flying towards the lake and around it, but this is a first. I was so excited to see it and I hoped that cropping and enlarging would make it clear enough for you to see. It's not great quality, but I'm happy! Ok, so you'll have to look close, but it's on the bottom left shore.

My beautiful picture




((...and I truly have no idea why this photo is on the right side

of the page!))MDGC0141

The shot above shows our beautiful cardinals in the foreground. They are gorgeous against all of the winter grays. And look at all of the ducks in Lake Jean! We have never had as many ducks as this year. I know they aren't much more than a dot on the water, but I get such a kick out of this. We even moved the game camera around to get a better view of the lake.

MDGC0142

My beautiful picture


Please visit my Etsy store for original watercolor and oil paintings priced from $10.00 to $395.00.

Don't miss my website to see a large group of my oil paintings priced from $85.00.

Till next time!
Jean

16 comments:

Miriam said...

I see the heron! I love the little painting of the bird. :) Yay, the computer let me be a follower today! lol.

heronkate said...

Hi Jean, good blog, and lovely painting! As you know, I love herons, too!

ZudaGay said...

Your heron is just lovely!!! I love the colors and graceful lines.

Karen Faulkner said...

Sorry folks, I had to grab this one before someone else did! It has everything I love in a watercolor painting, and I already have the perfect mat and frame for it.

Manon Doyle said...

Wonderful painting Jean!
BTW.... I love Wordless Wednesday!

thewildhare said...

Well the heron is fabulous and I love the colors - and it looks like it has already found a new home! Congrats Jean and Karen!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Miriam - I see that you made it to the followers! I'm glad it cooperated with you this time. I tried on 3 different blogs last night to do so, and it wouldn't let me. I'm glad you like the painting!

-----

Kate - yes, we are heron lovers! Thank you!

-----

Hey Zuda! I'm so glad you like it. I've been combining ink with watercolors lately, and have really enjoyed the results.

-----

Karen, I'm entirely flattered that you wanted my painting! Thank you very much!

-----

Manon - Thank you! I've got so many photos that I would love to share, so I think I'll do a Wordless Wednesday fairly often. It's kind of hard for me to be wordless, though, sometimes it may be "Wednesday's Words!"

-----

Kimberly - yes, that was a quick surprise from Karen! Thank you for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Your heron painting is wonderful.
Love the new game photos.

Janis

brendathour said...

I love your watercolor painting Jean, it is stunning and the colors and so rich and vibrant! I have been under the weather these last two weeks and am slowly getting better. Seeing your painting makes me want to gets my paints out again soon.
Hugs,

Sixsisters said...

Congrats on the sale of the Heron Jean !
Karen you are lucky .
Great blog Jean :)

Michelle (artscapes) said...

The heron is beautiful, Jean!

Have you ever been awakened at 4 am by a cardinal? I think there is one that has it in for me every Spring. Come April when I can open my window again, I am sure he'll be waiting outside it.... :)

Paula Villanova said...

I love your heron paintings. We have herons here in the northeast as well and I love watching them along with the egrets and array of ducks and wild turkeys. That game cam you have is fantastic...the deer are amazing...some great painting possibilities!

Tommy Thompson said...

Jean, We love your birds--such beautiful colors. Thanks for sharing them with us.

All the best,
Marie and Tommy

Rose said...

Hi Jean, Always enjoy your photos and your paintings. Love the colors in this one!

Genie said...

I absolutely LOVE the turquoise and purples! Fantastic combination that just screams water!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Janis - Thank you! I love working with those bright colors!

-----

Brenda, I do hope you're feeling better. And yes, go slosh some paint around even if it's on poster paper!

-----

Joan, thank you so much, I always appreciate your comments!

-----

Michelle, That is too fun! We have a 3 tiered fountain on our patio that the birds love. Now I'm not too sure I want them there at 4 am!

-----

Hi Paula, thank you so much! Yes, we have an array of herons, egrets, turkey, and ducks. It is a very special place I live in, and I am very grateful for it. Love your blog!

-----

Marie and Tommy - thank you!

-----

Hey Rose, I sure appreciate that!

-----

Genie - this one was really fun to paint. I love the intensity of color that is possible in watercolor.