Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sunflowers and Pear Study

This new oil painting is "Sunflowers and Pear." I love painting from a still life.

This piece is a study that I did for a large piece I was planning. Well, the large piece turned out quite yucky and you will not be seeing it! (Yucky is a technical painting term.) While doing these 2 paintings I found that I love to paint pears. The larger piece has several pears and it was fun. So maybe in the future you'll see more pears. Of course, maybe not. I'd have to live about 10 lifetimes to paint all of the things I want to paint!

Sunflowers and Pear, Study, 9 inches tall by 12 inches wide is available on my website.

Sunflowers and Pear, Study resized

I am introducing a new pricing structure with this blog. I've been discussing studies, small works, location paintings, demonstrations, etc., with artists on Linda Blondheim's blog. Many of us found that we had the same issue. Our quick studies are good paintings, but cannot be priced the same as our more involved work. We all price by size, as do most artist.

As an example Sunflowers and Pear Study is not as developed with color, strokes, and design as a more fully planned out piece. I do many quick studies simply to see if I like an idea before I want to invest time and effort into a fully developed piece. (Like the one that turned out yucky in spite of a prior study!)

I've been keeping most of these pieces because I felt I couldn't charge the same for them. After wonderful discussions with other artists I decided to follow what many planned to do. I will now have 2 pricing structures. One price for fully developed pieces and another for studies, demos, and my work on location.

I've already posted several of these pieces to my website and plan on adding more in the next month. As an example, my 9 x 12 paintings sell for $325.00. I will have my 9 x 12 studies priced at $100.00. Prices on my website include shipping and insurance, too! These pieces will have "study," "demonstration," "plein air," or such in the title of the painting.

My 8x10 studies are $85.00, 9x12 - $100.00, 11 x 14 - $120.00, and 12 x 16 are $145.00.

I have some great animal photos for next time!

They wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day!

mannequins valentines

Please visit my Etsy store for my watercolors and small works.


Til next time!

Jean

18 comments:

Sixsisters said...

I love the flowers Jean. I also like the idea of your new pricing . It is so hard to judge what to charge. I have a real problem with it also. Good luck with the new idea.

Diane ~ said...

Oh Jean I Love this Painting!! You have such a gift!! And the ♥s on your wooden people gave me another something to smile about!:D

Manon Doyle said...

This painting is wonderful Jean! I love sunflowers!!
Pricing is such a hard thing to deal with! I've always had a hard time with it especially with the mosaics.
We put so much work into our pieces ...... we don't want to undervalue our work! I like your new structure!

Linda Blondheim said...

Jean, A lovely painting and a sound business decision. You are a smart lady.
Love,
Linda

ZudaGay said...

This study is lovely!! We all have the yuckies happen, no matter the medium. :) I just clicked on your Trunkt link... the collage of your work is a complete visual delight!! I always love viewing your paintings, but there is just something special with them all together.

Fused Glass said...

Gorgeous! Jean I love the sunflowers...they are so beautiful!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Joan! I'm so glad you like the Sunflowers. I really appreciate your opinion on pricing too, it's great to hear from other artists on this.

-----

Diane, thank you so much! My little helpers are fun, and I am so glad they gave you a smile.

-----

Hi Manon! Your mosaics are so good, I hope folks check out your site to see them! Yes, we certainly do not want to undervalue our work, and it feels good to be setting a new way to do my prices.

-----

Linda, it is always a pleasure to hear from you. I'm so glad to be a part of your tribe!

-----
Zuda, thank you so much. Ahhh yes, the Yuckies! Thank you for the feedback on my Trunkt link! You are so very kind.

-----

Chauncey said...

Jean, as always, your work is beautiful. I love sunflowers and yours are so pretty.

Nancy and the fatties said...

Jean, your sunflowers are my new favorite! I think your pricing structure sounds perfect.

Sadia Hussain said...

The cadmium yellow deep hue you have used is excellent! Against the blue the flowers stand out very well.
Take care Jean, very nice painting!

Lily Pang said...

Sunflower and pears are my favorite as well. This is a wonderful piece. I like the dancing of sunflowers.

Karen Faulkner said...

Gorgeous!!
There is something fun about painting pears...maybe it's their voluptuous shape!

tlwest said...

Jean the painting is Luscious! - The colors vibrate! great idea on the pricing structure too.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Chauncey!
I'm so thrilled that you stopped by!

-----

Nancy, oh, you're so kind! I appreciate all of the artists views on the new pricing structure. Thank you!

-----
Sadia, how nice of you to visit and comment! I appreciate it so!

-----

Lily, thank you so much. I love the word "dance" for a compliment to my painting! Your new pieces are so nice, and I hope people will check out your blog, too.

-----

Karen, thank you so much! Yes, pears truly are voluptuous!

-----

Terri - How are you doing? Again, thank you for your opinion on the pricing structure. I've so enjoyed hearing from other artist on this. It';s been such a help.

cynthia said...

I love the quick studies best! And, the pricing structure is more than fair...

Jean Levert Hood said...

Cynthia, I appreciate your opinion on my new pricing structure. I love quick studies, too. I love the raw, immediate look to them.

brendathour said...

I absolutely Love your Sunflowers and Pears Study, I think it's my favorite.

Jean Levert Hood said...

That is so kind, Brenda, thank you so much!