Friday, January 16, 2009

New Landscape Painting and Red Prickly Pear

Nueces in Fall is my newest oil painting. This piece is 9 inches tall and 12 inches wide. When it is a bit dryer, I'll post it for sale.
Detail:

One of the reference photos for this piece is on this blog on Nueces Reflections.

We have several types of prickly pear cactus in the area. This one grows close to the ground and doesn't get very tall. When it gets cold the pads turn red. They'll get redder as the season gets colder. (We don't get much cold weather until January and February, and it's been in the 70's and even 80's most of this month.) It's really pretty to see the red against all of the winter grays.

red cactus

red cactus close

No matter which path I take my walks are always amazing. There is never a lack of what to see or photograph.

Path

Path 2

This little bunny was in the road just as I got to the house. I was able to get pretty close to it. They're fairly used to us and don't seem too afraid.

bunny

In my Etsy store you'll see my watercolor and oil paintings priced from $10.00 to $395.00. Here is where you'll find my small works and studies. Many of my studies are oil paintings done on location or a piece where I am trying out an idea. These are price separately from my more developed pieces on my website.

Don't miss my web site for oil paintings of my corner of Texas as well as my travels.

They're still doing it. They said they aren't finished.


Till next time, Jean

14 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

Lovely painting and I enjoyed seeing your pretty surroundings!

Rose said...

Love the painting Jean.. I have some prickly pear in my front flower bed!

Diane ~ said...

Beautiful!!!♥

Clare said...

Beautiful, I love the reflections on the water

Lily Pang said...

Beautiful scenes and painting!

artbylmr said...

Lovely painting! I think it really captures the landscape better than a photo could.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Karen, thank you!
---------------

Rose - I'm glad you like the painting! The Prickly Pears grow wild all over here. They can take over a pasture!
---------------

Diane - thank you for stopping by!
---------------

Clare, I love to paint water. I find water so calming, and mostly paint calm, still water.
-----------------
Thank you Lily!
-----------------
Lynne, what a lovely compliment, thank you so much!

The Epiphany Artist said...

Love the colors in the painting! the bunny is just so cute!

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Jean! This is beautiful!!

Kathleen said...

Really nice landscapes.... and that prickly pear looks like it woul be fun to paint too!

Rose said...

Beautiful painting Jean! What a cute rabbit too!

Marionette said...

Jean,
You have done it again! I love how the warm tones of the trees resonate with the cool blues of the sky and water! Awesome job!!!

Aloha and Hugs,
Marionette

cynthia said...

Jean - I think you must live in a very enchanted area of Texas and I can tell that you really love it there!

The color of the cactus is pretty amazing.

Jean Levert Hood said...

I am so sorry that I've neglected my blog comments! I love my readers and all comments, and somehow this slipped by me. *hangs head in shame*

Terri, I love all of our bunnies. I've used them in my "Moon Bunny" watercolor miniatures.

Michelle, I thank you. From one so talented, this is a treasured compliment.

Kathleen, thank you so very much! I've painted prickly pear many times, and love it. I can get kind of wild with the colors!

Rose, thank you!

Marionette, it's good to hear from you! Thank you!

Cynthia, this area of Texas is a place I love. I guess I could see the gray and drab and drought, but I always see something great!
I took a photo of a purple prickly pear last week.