Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lavender Fields and Some Great Walks!

This piece from my Lavender Fields series is now available in my ArtFire Studio. It is 8 inches tall by 6 inches wide, priced at $50.00.

This original oil painting is from the beautiful lavender fields in the Texas Hill Country. This particular field is at Becker Vineyards. It was late in the day, drizzly and cloudy, heavy skies and storms coming. I think the fields are just as pretty when they are in bloom as in the fall.

Lavender fields, Almost night, Jean Levert Hood

And now, more photos from my beautiful walks! I love sharing these with you. Last time you saw red Prickly Pear and now I have purple Prickly Pear! I don't see many this color. Knowing how much I love violets, I'm probably going to have to paint this.

purple cactus  2purple cactus 1

vine I love this vine. It's got such pretty leaf shapes and they are still every color from lime green to rust. It grows a lot down at the creek.

This old dead tree trunk is hugging a huge rock! I wonder how it looked when the tree was growing all around it. Amazing.tree rock

The prickly pear cactus skeleton looks a lot like a loofa.

cactus skeleton 2

birds nest 1

I love seeing all of the bird's nest when the leaves disappear. This one is pretty big. You can see from so much green still on the tree that we've had a very mild winter. Last night we probably hit freezing, but it's in the 60's now. These have been gorgeous afternoons for walks. It's been in the 60's, 70's and 80's most afternoons this month. This is fine with me, this is about as far north as I care to be in the winter!

I've been making greeting cards this month. I've done this for years and find it just plain fun. I made a bunch of valentines cards. ( I'll tell you where to see them below) Wellllll, my little helpers have really been enjoying it.

mannequins valentinesThey've been watching the Wizard of Oz and started singing "If I only had a heart." Who knows what they're going to do next. They do seem to enjoy the whole Valentine's Day thing, though.

Till next time!

See my Etsy store for my watercolors, small works, and studies.

Don't miss my web site for more oil paintings and to see my "What's going on in my studio this month" feature! Here is where you can see some of my Valentines cards.

Til next time!

Jean

18 comments:

Tommy Thompson said...

Jean, Congratulations on your magazine interview. Great paintings! Tommy and Marie

Linda Blondheim said...

Jean, Love all the ranch pictures, especially the prickly pears. great painting too.
Love,
Linda

Clare said...

Jean, lavender painting has wonderful colors. The way the sky looks over the field is amazing. You helpers are all heart!

Andrea Kobayashi 小林アンドレア said...

Nice red-green pallette you've got going there Jean. I like the photos too, great textures.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

The colours in the prickly pears - beautiful... and so is the painting!

Sadia Hussain said...

Great pictures ! so is your painting, a soothing scene.

Genie said...

I never get tired of seeing pix from your ranch. I love seeing what inspires you and you see color and texture and INTEREST in things my eyes just slide right over.

ZudaGay said...

Lovely painting, Jean!! I didn't know prickly pear came in purple.

Nancy and the fatties said...

Hi Jean - thanks for your help with Etsy. You're the best. How wonderful to live close to Becker Vineyards. you really capture the colors out there, and I love your lavender!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Tommy and Marie, Thank you! I'm glad you stopped by.

-----
Hi Linda! I always appreciate your comments, thank you!

-----
Clare, I tend to paint sunny day paintings, so these types of skies are different for me. Yes, they are all heart!!

-----

Hey Andrea! Thank you for the nice compliment!

-----

Michelle, so kind of you!

-----
Sadia - Thank you. I love to hear that you see it as a soothing scene.

-----

Genie, You're too sweet. It's fun shooting photos with you and seeing what YOU see!!

-----

Hey Zuda,
The Prickly Pear do cover a wide range of colors, and pretty soon the blooms will come. THey range from a creamy pink to red, pale yellow to lemon yellow, and onto bright orange!

tlwest said...

That is the weirdest thing I have ever seen a cactus skeleton... I had no idea!

cynthia said...

More lovely images from the Texas landscape, Jean - I can really tell that you love your surroundings.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Terri, I'm no expert on our plants, but the cactus have to be able to hold water in dry times. They will dehydrate and actually curl up. Then, get fat and happy after a rain. I suspect it is part of the mechanism for that purpose.

=====
Cynthia, Thank you! It's fun to share what I see!

jstinson said...

Jean, I always enjoy your wonderful pictures, paintings, and posts!

Rose said...

Love your Lavender Fields! And that picture of the tree hugging the rock is too cool!

Lynn said...

When I was taking a lost wax casting class, one girl used a cactus spine like the one you pictured here for a bracelet.

Silver was the casting material. I was fascinated with the resulting silver cactus spine which was then worked into a bracelet.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Lynn, I've never seen such a thing! The creativity of people is amazing!

Lynn said...

Jean, as I looked back at your pictures, I should have said cactus skeleton instead of cactus spine. Hopefully you knew what I meant. lol

Like you, I get such a delight seeing the creativity of others. I'm actually fascinated by it.