Saturday, December 13, 2008

Fowl and More Fowl!

This is a fowl post!

This oil painting, Chicken Strut, is one of our chickens. It's 10 inches wide by 8 inches tall. Chicken Strut is painted on gallery wrapped canvas, so you can hang it without a frame if you'd like. It has many shades of oranges and reds. Our chickens are really quite pretty! And, you know I love to paint the animals here.

Rooster, Chicken painting in oil

Chicken Strut, Detail:

Chicken painting in oil detail Chicken Strut is available in my Etsy shop for $200.00.

A good companion piece to Chicken Strut would be One Proud Rooster, and Young Rooster.

rooster resized for web blog Young rooster resized

Turkey Run

Yesterday morning the whole flock of turkeys came running at break-turkey-neck speed across the field to the house feeder. What a site! Twenty nine huge and ungraceful birds hauling it! It was so funny. It looked like they were being chase or maybe had some treasure in front of them. Something had to be going on to make them go soooo fast.

Well, that evening we checked the game camera card and saw the "before" to the field race. They were at the feeder at Lake Jean. I guess they had their fill and you can see the last of the exodus from there.

MDGC0071

MDGC0072

If you can see it, just above and a little to the left of the deer's head is one in flight. The deer seems to be saying "whaaa??" Turkeys do not seem to fly when they can walk or run. To see this one in flight, I'm wondering if someone in the lead said "OK, last one to the house feeder is fried!"

When you do see them fly you find yourself lifting, as if to help them get off of the ground. Watching them wind up and get ready leaves you wondering if they will ever make it. The effort is apparent. If one decides to clear a fence, it will not get any more lift than it needs to. They do not give an extra inch clearance.

The one under the feeder has his wings going, I guess he was the last. Poor thing. Oh, and that is part of Lake Jean in the background to the left in the photo.

So, please do visit my Etsy store for original watercolor and oil paintings priced from $10.00 to $395.00.

Don't miss my website for more oil paintings, and to see my "What's going on in my studio this month" feature! I'll update for the December post next week.

Thank you!
Jean
They are glad the sale is over. Even though they took turns, they were tired holding the sale sign.

16 comments:

Clare said...

Jean,
Your chicken is very pretty.
Clare

Jill said...

Great painting. And I love your description of the turkeys!

Debra James Percival said...

You live in such an interesting place. I love your wildlife stories and pictures.

cynthia said...

Love the chicken paintings, Jean! I think they are fascinating creatures - I'd love to have some chickens, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't do so in the city of Denver.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. The turkeys are funny.

Janis

Kathleen said...

She is one hot chick!

Genie said...

That's hysterical--I've never observed turkeys but I can totally imagine myself "lifting" with them as they take flight. What an image!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you Clare!
-----------------

Jill, they really are some funny birds.
------------------

Debra, I'm so glad you enjoy reading my blog. It truly is beautiful here, and the wildlife is amazing. Sharing it is fun!
--------------------

Cynthia, I can see those chickens in a front yard in Denver....
-------------------

Janis, I'm glad you like it!! You LIKE it!!! I must have done better with those commas!No, if I can only stop using exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
---------------

Kathleen, Cute!
-----------------

Genie, you really feel you need to help them!

vanaly said...

Jean, your hen is clucking.. she just laid an egg...she is terrific.. or maybe she just saw the strutting turkeys... Love your BLOG... vanaly

Uneekdolldesigns said...

Your paintings are very lovely, love the style! Thank you for sharing!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Vanaly, it is GREAT to see you posting!!! I love you!

--------
Debbie, I truly appreciate the compliment, thank you so much. I checked your blog, your dolls are great!

Fadly Zaki said...

The Chicken is so very good picture


from;nokiamoneymaker.blogspot.com

dianeclancy said...

Hi Jean ...

There is a little surprise for you over at my blog ...

here is the post http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2008/12/coolest-blog-ever-award/

Thanks!
~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.DianeClancy.etsy.com

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I love the chicken! My nickname is fowly similar!! ;-)

Rose said...

I've left you a note on my blog today:

http://mysticmooma.blogspot.com/2008/12/butterfly-award.html

Jean Levert Hood said...

Diane, Thank you sooo much!! That is awesome!

--------------------

Michelle, growing up my sisters called me "chicken neck." BUT, I can wear long and funky earrings!!

--------------------

Rose, Thank you so much!! 2 in one day! Wow!