Friday, October 17, 2008

Tree Ducks re-visited and Melody Madden

darlene tree ducks  1-1-1resizedRemember the Tree Ducks? My friend Darlene Shahan, with the awesome telephoto lens captured these great shots for me! You can really see those orange beaks and their wonderful colors, not to mention great expression and emotion. Ah, I'm getting carried away. No, no, no, of course I'm not jealous of her awesome, amazing, wonderful telephoto lens! No no. Amazing. Awesome. Close. Great shots.darlene tree ducks 2-1-1resized

Above photos © Darlene Shahan, 2008. Thank you Darlene!

Melody Madden had a blog give away, and I won! I won! Yes, me!! I love her work, it's so fluid and yet constrained at the same time.

In her own words she says: My art is deeply influenced by the beauty found in nature, it enriches my spirit, shapes the way I see colour and inspires the work I have yet to begin. I compare my free motion embroidery to a painter’s brush as I paint with the needle of my machine to create depth, shadow and light in my work.

In creating artwork with thread I am essentially mixing together dots of colour which are all lying in different directions, catching the light and making the viewer aware of the texture. To me this is similar to Pointillism or Impressionism. I also use my camera to capture urban settings in which people are just going about their daily lives. The use of both paint and thread is very exciting to me as it visually creates a three dimensional appearance within the art.

Here are 2 of Melody's great pieces: (images below property and © Melody Madden)

Melody - Pink Waters

melody 2 Rough Waters with edges

I can hyperventilate at the thought of sewing a button, and am continually amazed at Melody's work. Paint yes, I can paint. But sewing too???

Don't forget to visit my Etsy store for original watercolor and oil paintings priced from $10.00 to $395.00. It's not to early to be thinking of Christmas!

Till next time,

blog manequin with absrtact They seem to like to wave.

11 comments:

Lily Pang said...

Melody's work is fantastic. The color is so rich and deep. Congrats on winning them!!!

ZudaGay said...

Wow! The duck pictures are great!! And I am in awe of Melody's work...just beautiful!

cynthia said...

Congratulations! I'm soo so jealous that you won one of Melody's pieces.

Those ducks are pretty cool - love the orange beaks.

Tommy Thompson said...

Jean, We love the tree duck photos. We hope that you are planning to capture these beautiful birds in a painting soon!

All the Best,
Tommy and Marie Thompson

Nancy and the fatties said...

Jean, how cool to have so MANY tree ducks visiting - are these the ones that whistle? My mom has a pair that spend part of the year on her farm in East Texas and roost in a tree near the house. Happy painting Jean!

Mickey and Madeline Art Glass said...

You have been tagged!!!! And what that means is that you have to share 7 things about yourself that we might not know about you..... I was tagged by rosegardenfae.... You're it!!!

ceevee said...

Lovin' your blog articles and images!

The Epiphany Artist said...

congratulations and those are the neatest looking ducks!

R Lyndel Littleton said...

Uh oh, I tagged you too. I was tagged by Schar

It's a fun way for our VAST team to get to know each other and to promote our blogs.

Now you need to follow these points:
1. Link to your tagger and list these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by including links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blogs.

The Epiphany Artist said...

I came back and looked at the piece you won- that is amazing - the sewing incorporated into the art WITH painting. I wish I could see it in person! Congats again!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hi Lily! Yes, I always am intrigued by Melody's work.

Zuda, she really is talented, and I'm thrilled to have one of her pieces. Thank you for stopping in!

Cynthia, I can't believe I won! Her work is awesome.

Hi Tommy! I do love painting the animals and birds around here, so it's a safe bet to say tree ducks may be coming!

Nancy, they can come in by the dozens! They will clean out a huge amount of food in a short time. We enjoy feeding the animals and birds. Hugs to the Pugs!

Mike and Madeline - oh my, I've been tagged so much I must do it! I will try to get to it soon, I promise!!

CeeVee, thank you!

Lyndell, now I'm tagged twice in one post!! Ok, Ok, I will do it!

Hey Terri! Thanks for coming by! ...I know, sewing and painting blows me away!