Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Roosters and Turkeys!

Young Rooster, original oil painting:

Detail:

Detail:


Young Rooster was painted from one of my photos. The young roosters are so funny. They seem to not know that they aren't a "big guy" just yet! You know I love painting our animals, and this was a fun piece, too. This painting is 10 inches tall by 8 inches wide, and it is painted on Gallery Wrapped canvas. Gallery Wrap means that the canvas extends around the side of the painting, enabling me to continue the painting on it's edge. The rooster's tail extends around the side. If you do not want to frame them, they are ready to hang as is. Here is a side shot of the piece:


This photo below is from our game camera at Lake Jean. You'll notice that the turkeys on the far left and the far right are smaller than the 2 in the middle. We watched these grow from babies! This is the first picture of them that has been captured. (I just love our game cameras!) They came to the feeder in the front of the house when the babies were very small, about 5 inches tall. We've watched them grow all summer.

My beautiful picture

and a few deer:

My beautiful picture

Here is a peek into my studio, this is on my watercolor table. The basket holding miscellaneous tools is from the Tarahumara Indians in Mexico. I simply love pottery, and the 2 mugs were collected on my travels.


Please visit my Etsy store for original watercolor and oil paintings priced from $10.00 to $395.00.

Don't miss my website for more oil paintings, and to see my "What's going on in my studio this month" feature!

Until next time!

I'm just so lucky to have them!

16 comments:

Chauncey said...

Jean goes to Lake Jean! I need to find a Lake chauncey.

I have no idea what a game camera is but I enjoyed your photos and of course your artwork.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I love the rooster painting... My nickname is "Chicken"... don't ask.... :-)

Linda Blondheim said...

Terrific paintings Jean.
Love,
Linda

Marionette said...

Jean,
As always, I love it! Your use of color is bold and beautiful. Chickens and roosters is also one of my favorite subjects. Kauai has so many "wild" chickens running around, that the tourists are more in awe over them than the beautiful scenery!!!

Aloha from Kauai,
Marionette

Jean Levert Hood said...

Well, Chauncey, my hubby named it!!!!

We feed the wildlife at several places on our property. It's so fun!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Ok Michelle!! Mum's the word! Thanks for coming by.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you Linda,
Love,
Jean

Jean Levert Hood said...

Marionette,
I appreciate that so much! I love painting our chickens and roosters! When I went to Key West, Florida, they had roosters and chickens roaming all over too. In and out of shops, etc. I took some photos of some really colorful characters, I'm going to have to paint them!

thewildhare said...

Jean, I nominate you for the Brilliante Weblog Award!

http://thewildhare.blogspot.com/2008/09/dear-friends-i-must-tell-you-that-i-am.html

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you Kimberly!!! You are too sweet!

John said...

These paintings are great - you capture the energy of trhe morning.

Amazing wildlife there _ wild turkeys are so cautious. There must also be hunting in your county.

cynthia said...

Roosters are pretty cool! When I lived in Portland, ME - we had a flock (?) of wild turkeys walk past our house in an urban area one day - sort of weird and they made such a racket!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey John, I'm glad you stopped by! I'm glad you like the painting. Yes, there are a lot of hunters in this area of Texas, and many that have exotic animals for hunts too.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Those turkeys can be so noisy, Cynthia! They are such a big, ungraceful bird!

Genie said...

I'm getting jealous of your game cam pix, I need to talk Wes into switching to digital game cams this year. They're just too cool.

I love the way you paint animals. It's never boring or typical. Your animals always have personality!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Oh, thank you so much, Genie!!

I know you'd love the game cameras. They really are fun, and you never know what's coming up.