Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Wet bird and ginkgo leaves!

Oh, what a sight - a mother deer ( Doe) is bringing her twin fawns into the field in front of our house! Many years we don't see fawns at all, the mothers keep them hidden quite well until they're old enough to fend for themselves. Another Doe with a single fawn that ventured out this morning. I'm waiting for them to get close enough to get a good picture, hopefully I can.

I did get these great shots for you. This little bird was into some very vigorous bathing! (OK, maybe this is too many birds in a row, but this is just too good to pass up.) And yes, you can see that I'm loving my new camera with the telephoto lens.





Notice in this next shot the deer just behind the fence!


For this shot, I focused on the deer.


Look how puffy it's getting!








The birds hop in all directions as they are bathing, turning this way and that, keeping an eye out for their surroundings.





I'm marginal at best in figuring out most of my birds, in spite of my Birds of Texas book. I do think this is a warbler of some sort, but they have no reference photos of puffy, soaking wet birds in there. My birder blogger friend John Mora, at Select.ive.Pan.cakes can usually help me out with the birds. John, if you read this and can help, please do so!

I love painting ginkgo leaves. I have a handful that I collected on the ground in December in Fredericksburg, Texas. I was there for their annual Christmas parade weekend, they have wonderful holiday events then. I didn't even know ginkgo trees grew well here, and was kind of amazed to see one outside of Whistle Pik Gallery. I scooped up some dead leaves on the ground and have been painting them since. The background colors flowing and merging is always magical in watercolor.

This is called "Ginkgo Falling." It measures 6 by 4 1/2 inches, and is available in my Etsy store by clicking here. Ginkgo is priced at $22.00.

I love how you can turn an abstract any way.


And I'll leave you with a peek into my studio:


Please visit My Etsy Store for this and other fine art. Check out this link to my
Available Works page on my website. Till next time!

They never ask for time off.

24 comments:

Linda Blondheim said...

Beautiful painting Jean. We have lot of deer here too along with foxes,bobcats and occasionally a black bear.

Love,
Linda

Sixsisters said...

What great pics of that little bird Jean. The ginko
watercolors are wonderful.

ZudaGay said...

That bird was having a ball!! So cute! And I always love seeing deer. Your ginkgo paintings are just lovely, Jean!

Lily Pang said...

You have great shots. Your new camera is exciting, isn't?

I love your ginkgo leaves. How did you make the texture? It is great!

Myfanwy said...

Lovely pics, Jean. Thanks for the glimpse into your life outside Etsy.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you, Linda. We have all of those except the black bears. Bears have been spotted in the neighboring county. Nature is so inspiring!
love, Jean, with regards to Henri

Jean Levert Hood said...

Joan, I am in love with my new camera!! It is so fun to take these great shots and be able to share them. I'm so glad you like them!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Zuda!! I am always so glad to see you stop by!! Thanks so much for your compliment on my painting.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Lily, I build up lots and lots of layers of color, and inbetween, I splatter paint a few times. Sometimes I splatter with a wet surface, and others with a dry surface. I like the look that gives me.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Myfanwy, I am so glad you visited!! Yes, there is so much here to share, and I love doing that. I have various studio shots (my husband's garage!!!) that I'll be showing, too.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

The painting is lovely! And that bird is so cute....

Diane ~Ever so Dear jewelry artisan said...

I loved seeing the photos of your visiting bird! And I love your ginkgo painting! your water colors sing! :)

Barbara said...

Love your bird shots!

Robin Hernandez said...

Jean, your paintings and photos are gorgeous! And I agree with you--nature is so inspiring.

Robin

Kesha Bruce said...

Jean, I'm not exactly "Nature Girl", but I love the photos!

maryeb said...

You have the most wonderful photos on your blog.
I love watching birds in my birdbath. I'll have to try and photograph one.

The ginkgo leaves are beautiful. The color is lovely.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Michelle, thank you so much! I have so much fun taking photos of all of the wonderful things in my world.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Diane,
That is so sweet of you to say!! I am very grateful ( as your blog says!!) for where I live, the beauty and wonder it provides, and the inspiration it gives me.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Barbara,
I'm so glad you stopped by. My new camera has given me the ablility to get photos that I couldn't before. I love watching the birds, and have many more to show you.

We raise chickens, too. I've blogged about them, and painted them!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Kesha,
Somehow, I had the feeling that you were not "Nature Girl"!!! That gave me a great laugh! You go girl, just enjoy the photos!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Robin,
I absolutely love Northern New Mexico! It is inspiring to breath there! I have painted in Taos many times, used to go for several weeks every year, just to paint. I love Ghost Ranch and Abiquiu.
I'm so glad you stopped by!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Mary,
Thank you so much for stopping by!

I love all of the flora and fauna we have. The birds are a special treat for me, I watch them each morning with my coffee. We have the fountain where they drink and bathe, and a feeder, as well as numerous bird houses.

It's just recently that I got a telephoto lens capable of shooting them through the bedroom door!

I love painting Ginkgo leaves, Oh, I know, I love painting everything.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Jean,

These birds are great!! What fun you are having!!

I LOVE your ginko leaves - the colors, the shapes - just glorious!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
http://Dianeclancy.com/blog/2008/07/post-500-a-give-away/

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hi Diane!! I just love painting those leaves!