Thursday, August 7, 2008

Twin Fawns, and no birds!! Summer heat and more...

I am thrilled that I've got a shot of the twin fawns! No, I didn't take it, they still haven't come close enough into the field. The game camera got this shot at one of the feeders.

My beautiful pictureLook at the difference in color in the twin's coat. It is more reddish brown than the adults. These are probably about 2 months old.My beautiful pictureWalking away, now.

I apologize about the date and time, it is on the camera, although it is obviously incorrect. It's kind of like getting the VHS time set a few years back!

I really try hard to write a good blog. Really hard. I proof read and proof read to make sure I have it right, and try to be alert for mistakes that the spell checker will not catch. (hear/here, rode/road) Well, two days after I published my last blog, my sister emailed me to let me know I'd made a mistake.

Hmmmm, let me restate that. Two days after I posted my last blog, one of sisters (who will remain unnamed) gleefully let me know that I really blew it. I gave you a "peak" into my studio. Oh, please......*head hanging in shame* Sigh.

Well, sisters do keep score, so she's ahead for now, but, I will be watching her very carefully! Sew, hear is a peak at our thermometer! (I just couldn't resist!)

Blog thermometer

This was a few days ago, before we had several days of drizzles that gave us almost 1/2 inch of rain. Yes, not much, but precious for us at this time of year. It makes me think of my friends Cynthia in Colorado, and Melody in Ontario. Cynthia is a wonderful artist, working in clay, paint and textiles. Melody works in textiles, paint, and mixed media and lives in Canada. They both live where they never see a thermometer like this!

I love to paint poppies. The fields of them at Wildseed Farms near Fredericksburg are beautiful. Their bright colors never fail to capture me. This is a small study that I did for a larger painting, it is 8x6. It's painted in oil, lots of texture and thick paint on this one.

Detail:
Detail:
This little study is at this link in my Etsy store. As a study, it is priced at $55.00.

So, until next time!



The heat doesn't seem to bother them at all.

24 comments:

joonbeam said...

Jean, do you know that we had a pet baby deer once? It was hit by the hay mower in the field and our little Dusty was getting a ride on the back of a four wheeler with his uncle and saw it. It was only a surface wound and then we raised it. I have videos of it sucking on Dusty's little ear lobe. Talk about precious! Aren't they fun to watch, though? Your blog is lovely. Your paintings I adore. I cannot wait to meet you! Fredericksburg? :) ox joonie

MagdaleneJewels said...

Love the little fawns - we have a lot of deer and coyotes here. Yes even in the suburbs of NY.
When you listed your Poppy painting yesterday I just fell in love with it.
ps. don't you just love sisters - what would we do without them!

ZudaGay said...

Precious fawns! hehe...I love having a peak in your studio every chance I get, it is the peek of my day!!! Beautiful poppies!!

Jill said...

Such sweet little fawns. And so hot there!!!
I remember a family of deer that lived on our land in Texas. They got very brave and would come pretty close to the house. They loved to go in the horses' pen.

Love your paintings!

dianeclancy said...

Hi Jean,

These photos are great of the twins ... great little comment about peak into the thermometer .. little bit warm I guess.

I love this painting!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
http://Dianeclancy.com/blog/2008/07/post-500-a-give-away/

Sixsisters said...

Oh Deer ! I love to visit your blog. Great photos.
The poppies are wonderful!

Linda Blondheim said...

My blog is always full of mistakes Jean. Love the deer and espcially love the poppies.
Love,
Linda

Jean Levert Hood said...

Joon, that is sooo neat! They really are fun to watch. They scamper and play and hop! Fredericksburg in October?? I'll be taking a workshop there, it will be my first boomer meet!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Madgalene, I had no idea you'd see such wildlife in the burbs of NY!! I'm so glad you like my painting, and yes, my sisters are all the world to me.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Zuda! You made me laugh out loud!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Jill, usually we're about 102- 104, this was a reeeeally bad day! The adult deer will come up very close to the patio, and we can be sitting and talking out there and they don't care!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hi Diane!
I"m so glad you stopped by! Hope your blog giveaway is going great!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean,

The deer were grate. I love seeing the little footprints around the pond. They are the cutest things, don't you no. The poppies are grate to. I will be watching for the next blog.
One who shall remain nameless!!!!!!!!!!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Ohhhhh Nameless One, hello!! I'm watching you too!!!!!!!

Melody said...

The poppies are gorgeous Jean. And oh, those sweet fawns.....
Keep cool. I am sweating just looking at that themometer.

cynthia said...

I love your wild life photos, Jean - they're so cool. The only wild life I see in Denver metro are the city fox that live in the sewers and various birds. Domesticated animals don't count even though they sometimes act wild. :) (I'm referring to our semi newly adopted dog - crazy boy)

While it does get to about 100 here in Denver, the last time I saw temps above 100 were when I visited the Badlands last summer in South Dakota. Our tinted window stuff actually started pealing off the windows.

Love the poppy paintings!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Melody, glad you stopped by!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Cynthia, I had no idea Denver would get to 100 degrees! No fair, you have mountains!
I love sharing the photos. Today as I was driving into our gate, I noticed our neighbor has some new exotics! I will have to keep my camera with me to catch them.

Glad you like the poppies!

susanlambert said...

great pictures! What is a 'game camera'? Some candid shooting camera near the deer?

Also really enjoyed your spelling fun. Your sister sounds like fun.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

The poppies are gorgeous! I love that colour...

The deer are beautiful creatures, but, I don't envy them that heat!

The Epiphany Artist said...

Don't worry about blowing it LOL I blow it every time I post -- and I check the dingbat thing before I post it and then after I post it -- it's not till I get a copy in my in-box that I usually discover my dyslexic boo-boos.
That poppy is on fire!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Susan! A "game camera" is simply a motion activated camera, and it is all enclosed in a case to withstand the weather. So, when something walks in front of it, it snaps a photo. We love them!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hi Michelle!
Yes, the poor animals here do have to put up with this heat, too!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Terri, I think I will try for a "misteak of the weak" on future blogs!! So glad you like my poppies!