Friday, September 5, 2008

Echinacea and After the Rain Flowers

Detail:


Detail:


I love Echinachea! The way the petals turn downward is so different from most of the daisy shaped flowers. It is sparse in the Texas Hill Country, but I often see it in my travels. I have so many photos of these flowers, many from the Taos, New Mexico area.

This watercolor piece is 7 inches tall by 5 inches wide, sized to fit a standard 8x10 mat and frame.
See it here in my Etsy store, priced at $35.00.

Visit my Etsy store for original watercolor and oil paintings priced from $10.00 to $395.00.

Don't miss my website for more oil paintings, and to see my "What's going on in my studio this month" feature! My August update is posted.

After the Rain Flowers are here!
These are such neat little flowers. They start coming up just after a rain and last about 3 days. What a show they make in those 3 days! One flower by itself would be pretty easy to overlook, but there is always a clump of them together. The white flower, about 7-9 inches tall, is on a stem the width of a pencil lead. There are a few spikes of leaves that are in the shape of a slender leaf of grass. That is. Not much to it, and I have no idea what they are. I can't find it in either of my flower books.

I love this, how it pushes through the soil.



This is about 2 days old.











Thank you for visiting!
Until next time..

23 comments:

ZudaGay said...

Echinacea is beautiful, Jean! I love the colors!! Yummy! What a lovely little flower. I wonder if it is some type of lily....said like I know anything about flowers. hehe.. Thank you for sharing it!

maryeb said...

That watercolor is really beautiful!!

I've never heard of those flowers. They are very sweet. Thanks for sharing the photos.

marion said...

Echinacea is just gorgeous, Jean. great work. Love the flowers, too...how unusual and beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean,

I love the new flower paintings.


Janis

Dayna said...

I'm thrilled that my echinacea beds are growing each year and flourishing!
I had never heard of after the rain flowers. Your area must be very dry?

Precious Quilts said...

I have seen a similar flower but never knew their name!

You paintings are always so beautiful! It is so exciting to be able to view nature through your eyes. The photographs and story or the After the Rain flower, just wonderful and amazing.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Diane ~Ever so Dear jewelry said...

I like the soft quality you gave the echinacea. just Lovely!
I love your photos! I especially like your shot of the flower breaking through the dry soil. Great set of pics Jean!
really love your work!!:)

Diane ~Ever so Dear jewelry said...

oh, one more comment if I may....
the photo of the little white flower, looking straight up is wonderful!

Conscientia's Cameos said...

gorgeous work :)

Melody said...

Gorgeous pictures Jean. I love Echinacea's also.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Zuda,
I'm always so happy you stop by!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Marion, so glad you like the Echinacea.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Janis, they are really pretty flowers, they make you want to paint them!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Dayna, Oh, I'm jealous, you have beds of them!! Maybe your next Wordless Wednesday??? Oh, yes, very dry. Very. We are often in drought conditions for months at a time.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Mary! I'm so glad you stopped in!

Jean Levert Hood said...

PQ, I've had a few emails on names, I'll update that in my next blog. Thank you for such a lovely comment. I really appreciate it!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Diane, I did keep this one softer, often my paintings can be pretty bold with color, but this time it just seemed to need more "quiet."
I love photographing our beautiful place, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the pics!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Melody, it's easier to photograph flowers than backyard sports events!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Conscientia's Cameos - I really appreciate your visit! Thank you!

cynthia said...

You truly are a gifted watercolorist! Gorgeous and ethereal. Your photographs aren't bad either...

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Beautiful!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you so much, Cynthia!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Michelle, I appreciate that!