Friday, September 5, 2008

Cone flower, sage,mushroom, and rain flower update

Echinacea is sometimes called "Cone Flower." This is a little watercolor, one of my Tiny Bits of Fine Art.

Detail:

This piece has layers of magentas, violets, greens and ochers. "Cone Flower" is 5 1/4 inches tall by 3 5/8 inches wide, sized to fit into a 7x5 mat and frame. Click here for Cone Flower in my Esty Shop.

Here is another peek into my studio, the fridge door. The card is cut from one I received from Madeline, my sister in law, and the "Exhale" magnet is from my sister Lisa.
After a few inches of rain, these mushrooms show up. They are in this little area just outside of my studio door. I had about 6 of them last week. I love all of the dew drops in this shot!

The sagebrush is outstanding. It only gets this spectacular after several inches of rain. We had 3 inches. The hills are covered in purple, pastures are covered in purple, it is beautiful!





The "After the Rain" flower is still somewhat a mystery.



Vanaly Palmer told me they had them in Bandera, a beautiful area of the Texas Hill Country. She has no idea what they are called either. Mary Sam said her mother called them "Crow Poison." Twila Harville said a San Antonio weather man called them "Rain Lilies," but also made up names. So, I think you can call them whatever you like!

Please visit my Etsy store for original watercolor and oil paintings priced from $10.00 to $395.00.

Don't miss my website for more oil paintings, and to see my "What's going on in my studio this month" feature!

Until next time!
They never even want to go outside.

21 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

Hi Jean! Love your blog and your art. I'm a big fan of coneflowers too (cosmos and zinnia being my other top favorites). I must also say, the colors you used in that heron are fabulous. Happy painting!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you so much, Karen, and I would certainly recommend your blog to my readers! I love your watercolors!

http://karenfaulknerart.blogspot.com/

We have a wild cosmos here, but it is different from yours, ours is yellow. I'm so glad you stopped by!

TheresaJ said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous work!!! Really love it!

Michelle (artscapes) said...

The purple is incredible!

Genie said...

I think your rain lily is a type of Zephyranthes. http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Zephyranthes

I LOVE the Cone Flower piece! Fantastic colors!

Jean Levert Hood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean Levert Hood said...

Rats, Genie, I couldn't get the link to work!

I'm so glad you like this painting. I haven't done pen and ink with watercolor in ages. I was inspired by an artist friend to get it out and work with it again! She does it beautifully,

http://www.kauai-artist.blogspot.com/

Marionette is her name!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you so very much, Theresa!! I so appreciate that! I hope people visit your blog for some great jewelry!


http://theresaj.blogspot.com/

Jean Levert Hood said...

Michelle, I wish a photo could capture it!! ( is that why I paint??!!) We drove out of town today and saw views that were amazing!

NuvoFelt said...

You have been nominated! Please see my blog.
http://nuvofelt.blogspot.com/

Linda Blondheim said...

Jean,
Love the images. I too am a cone flower lover.
My favorite in fact. Your's are beautiful.
Love,
Linda
http://lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com

susanlambert said...

such beauty in your blog. You have the eye for color and warmth!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Nuvofelt, thank you so much! Wow!!
I'm truly flattered!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Linda, I'm so glad you stopped by. I've been painting cone flowers in watercolor, haven't tried them in oils yet.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Susan! Oh, I appreciate that! thank you!

Anonymous said...

Jean
The cone flowers are truly beautiful. I can't believe the sage brush!
Clare

The Epiphany Artist said...

such beautiful photos-- If I could get my husband to travel... arrrg I might have to go without him.... The landscapes are magnificent!

Lily Pang said...

This is lovely! I like the colors. They are so subtle and the lines that are so nicely placed.

Looking at the photos of the landscape I understand how the place you live influences your art.

Your paintings are just as beautiful as the Texas Hill Country landscapes.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Clare, I'm so glad you came by and commented! The sage is still gorgeous. It's lasting so long!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Terri, thank you so much! I love sharing our area.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hi Lily, I'm glad you like my flowers. I appreciate the compliment from one so accomplished in watercolor.

The landscape here is a big source of inspiration, yes.