Thursday, August 21, 2008

Blue Jeans and Tree Ducks



Heavy Starch I is an original oil painting, 8 x 6 inches. This piece was just plain fun to paint! I love it when these small works turn into a series, usually because it has become that "fun" word. Believe me, all painting is "work," but it is such a delightful, fulfilling work that work does become "fun." I've painted 3 in my Heavy Starch series, #2 sold last month, this is #1. It's for sale in my Etsy store here, for $55.00.

The tree ducks are staying around more and more. They come into the field in front of the house when that feeder goes off, and this is a shot of them at yet another feeder. I promise you, they all have watches and they know when each different feeder goes off!

My beautiful picture

The Tree Ducks are resident here in our part of Texas from April through December. They have a black-belly and a coral-pink bill and legs. Those almost orange bills and legs are so distinctive. This is a goose-like whistling duck, with a white stripe on its wing.

They enjoy our feeders. A lot. The resolution on this particular camera isn't very good, but at least I have a respectable group of them together to show you.

My beautiful picture

The animals seem to get along well and don't mind feeding together. We usually see any number of birds, deer, turkey and rabbits feeding at the same time. The Tree Ducks join them seasonally. In the photo above, in the very bottom left corner you can see the head of a duck and get a better idea of the color of the beak.

Below, it's time to fly away. It's so neat what the camera catches in flapping wings.

My beautiful picture

My beautiful picture


Please visit My Etsy Store, and my web site.


So, until next time!

10 comments:

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I love the way you did the fabric... really well done!

It sounds like bird city down there!

Linda Blondheim said...

A really fun painting Jean. Levis should buy it for their corporate office. Great photo of the ducks too.
Love,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Not one, not two, but three this time.

The Anonymous One

Lily Pang said...

It is interesting to see that fabric can be painted in such a nice way. It is really fun to paint if we can paint many things.

You are so close to the wild life there. It is really nice. We have to pay quite a lot to visit them in Singapore. Haha...

cynthia said...

I think "fun" is definitely the key here!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you, Michelle! Well, the birds might not be so happy if we didn't give the lots of food and water! Kind of like a bribe!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Linda, you are too kind! I have a fantastic photo of the ducks for next time!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Anon Nameless Sister,

Sigh.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Lily - I'm so glad you stopped by! Yes, it is a treat to have all of the wildlife around us, and I still love to go to the zoo!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Cynthia, glad you stopped by.