Friday, July 18, 2008

Lavender fields, Summer drawing classes, and Birds!



Lavender Fields - Cloudy Skies. This is an original oil painting, sized 8x10 inches. It is available by clicking
here to my Etsy Store. I painted this from my reference materials from Becker Vineyards just outside of Fredericksburg in the beautiful Texas Hill Country. I've painted their lavender fields many times in many seasons. I find them just as beautiful after the flowers are gone.

I'm giving private drawing classes again this summer and wanted to introduce two of my great students.

I have Maddie:



She's an amazing young lady. She has a very sharp eye for detail, and loves to draw horses. It's such a pleasure to work with someone who works so hard.

And Alice:



Alice is working on perspective, and decided to try a delightful old barn. She did a great job!

I'll show you more of my classes later, and some of their work.






This is the Lesser Goldfinch. The male has very bright yellow underparts, and they are just stunning! The female is light greenish. This is a very small finch, resident here in West Texas. They just love the finch feeder we keep out, and they can empty that sock pretty fast. The fountain is where I can get my best shots of the birds. I sit in the swing, and my telephoto lens is as good as you see here. (with apologies to all of my photographer friends!)



This is a good shot to see the back coloring of the male.



I love the water drop in his mouth in the next one, with a bunch of females:



We've had this one building a nest in the bird house:



So until next time!


They work tirelessly.

19 comments:

The Epiphany Artist said...

beautiful photos and paintings! I sure wish I could come and take classes from you!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Terri, you are so kind!! I'm glad you like the photos. I appreciate your visit.

Alysa Merle said...

Your paintings are lovely. I also enjoyed seeing your little winged visitors!

Sixsisters said...

Oh Jean I do love seeing your pics of birds. These are
just too sweet !
Your painting is lovely. I think you sold the bunny
watercolor already ! Congrats. Joan :)

Anonymous said...

I love the bird pics. Teaching an art class must be fun.

Janis

AltheaP said...

My old eyes read that the finch had "bright yellow underpants." It can be entertaining to get old.

Glad you're teaching. I know everyone would learn something from the beauty you see!

Linda Blondheim said...

Jean, Great painting and bird photos. I have a new drawing student starting this Saturday myself. Just what I need, another private student!! I can never say no.

Love,
Linda

Clare said...

Jean
It must be wonderful to teach. The lavender is beautiful. Great pictures of the finches. Can't wait to see what is next
Clare

Lily Pang said...

Beautiful Lavender painting.You have lovely students and birds. So nice!

Liane Schmidt said...

So lovely and wonderful!!

Best wishes.

Sincerely,

-Liane Schmidt.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Terri, thank you for stopping by! I truly enjoy teaching!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Joan! These are some of our favorite birds. I'm so glad you enjoy my blog!
Yes, the bunny sold so fast. I'm glad you like my painting. Take care!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Alysa, thank you so much for visiting my blog. I appreciate your compliments so much!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Janis, yes, my classes are great. I man have another student soon, too.

I am trying to get some closer shots of the birds, but haven't been successful yet.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Althea, that cracked me up!! If I see any birds with bright yellow underpants, I will surely take lots of photos!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Clare, yes, I love to teach. Next is (I think) something neon blue. You'll have to stay tuned...

Jean Levert Hood said...

Linda, thank you for commenting!! I think Henry would love that fountain!
What fortunate students to take from you.
Best to you as always,
love,
Jean

Jean Levert Hood said...

Liane,
thank you!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hi Lily,
THank you for stopping to comment! I hope you are doing well.