Friday, May 30, 2008

Pink Floral Watercolor, Children's Art

This original piece is called "Pink Floral." It is a watercolor painting of one alstromeria flower. I love them! They last forever in a vase, and are just beautiful colors. This piece is 5 1/2 inches tall by 3 1/4 inches wide. It is sized to fit in a standard 7 inch by 5 inch mat and frame. "Pink Floral" is available in My Etsy Store.

Click here for the listing for Pink Floral.

Last fall I participated in a project with elementary school children in Lebanon, Indiana. Artist sent the children their art work, and the students were to send their own artwork back to exchange with the artist. Eighty elementary students participated, a book was published with some of the work, and the project will be presented at the fall art education conference in Indiana. What a success!

I received my artwork from a little girl named Allison. She titled this first piece "Flower Smiles," and listed her materials used on the back - paper, glue, brad pin. Along with her wonderful artwork, she sent a letter telling me all about herself and her pets, and colored and decorated the letter.

Allison named this piece "Flower Days", and listed her materials used as colored pencils, glue.

I love stuff like this! Children are natural artists, and they seem to enjoy any art project. This was fun to participate with the school kids.

Until next time!

16 comments:

cynthia said...

I just love children's art Jean! It has an honest and unpretentiousness about it that is hard to replicate.

Your "Pink Floral" is gorgeous as always!

ZudaGay said...

Pink Floral is just lovely!!! And how cool to have an artist exchange with children!!

Outside My Brain said...

Thanks for sharing these with us. Children are so free and truthful in their approach to life. It's refreshing.

Art2theextreme said...

So happy that Allison's letter made it to you! She is a wonderful student and a great artist. Thank you for sharing this and being a part of this project!

Linda Blondheim said...

Kids are always the best artists because their work is so honest.
Love,
Linda
www.lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com

Jean Levert Hood said...

Cynthia, your love of working with the children always comes across in your posts.

I can't wait for my classes with them this summer! I'll be having a few craft classes.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Zuda, it really was exciting, then finally the envelope! I'm glad you like Pink Floral!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Outside my Brain, Thank you for stopping by! I've worked with children for art classes for years, and they are such a joy.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Art to the Extreme - Nicole, Thank You!! You've done a tremendous work here, and I will love to see it continue and grow! Please let me participate again!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Linda, they are a joy!

joonbeam said...

Thank you for another wonderful blog post, Jean. When I taught second grade, I incorporated art into everything and it was amazing seeing what happened from day one when the children sat with confused stares to day 180 when practically every single assignment - right down to weekly spelling tests - had snippets of art so precious I could barely stand to hand them back! I should scan my photos and do some blog posts on that. Thank you for the memories of my four years of bucking the system and for your inspiration. Maybe I can inspire someone to carry on that philosophy.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Joon, thank you for a wonderful post! Yes, working with children is always inspiring. They seem to naturally gravitate to art. How wonderful that for so many years you instilled that into so many at sch a young age!

kae1crafts said...

Jean,
I love your blog. I hadn't taken time to visit it before and that is my loss. Your flower and bunting paintings are truly amazing.

It is so wonderful that you give time to the children. Where were teachers like June and artists like you when I was a child - not born for one thing. LOL - But I sure would have like to have some similar.

Thanks for sharing yourself in your art and blog.

Kae

dianeclancy said...

Hi Jean,

This painting is wonderful!! Just great!!

I didn't know you did this exchange too .. fun, wasn't it?

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.YourArtMarketing.com

Jean Levert Hood said...

Kae, thank you for such a thoughtful comment! I'm so glad you visited.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Diane, how is the book? Aren't you in it??