Monday, May 19, 2008

Calla Lily and Wildflowers


This original oil painting is titled "Single Calla." Calla is 10 inches tall by 8 inches wide. You can see it by clicking here for my website. It is available for $200.00.

We had 3 1/2 inches of rain last week! I am hoping that will give us a few more wildflowers to enjoy.

This is one of the very hardy wildflowers we have, it's around even when our rains are few. This is Gaillardia, a member of the sunflower family. It has many nicknames: Indian Blanket, and Firewheel are 2.

Here are 3 stages of the flower, in full petals, beginning to drop, and the remaining center. It blooms from February to December. Now, I say it is Gaillardia, but my books also show another very close looking flower called Sneezeweed. I rely on 2 books, Wildflowers of the Texas Hill Country, and Wildflowers of Texas. Very often, what we have is a little different than is shown in the books. There are such a huge variety of these wildflowers!


OK, this one is a little blurry, apologies to my photographer friends!

This little yellow flower is a primrose. It tends to close up in the day time hours. These primrose are about the size of a quarter. They grow only about 4-6 inches tall.

For my readers who are artist, (and for others who want to see good art work!) I want to recommend a great blog to you. Linda Blondheim puts out a wonderful blog almost every day. How she finds time to write great content so regularly and paint like she does is amazing to me. Her blog, Art Notes, is filled with great painting tips and information. She ends each post with a recipe, and likes grits and sweet potatoes! Yes, she is another Southerner!

Linda is a Florida painter, and I think you'll really enjoy her blog. For Art Notes, click here, and for her web site, click Here. She's a wonderfully giving artist. It's like a mini workshop each time.

Until next time!

22 comments:

ZudaGay said...

Your Calla is beautiful!!! And oh, those flowers are sooo cool! I've never seen anything like them. I love how the petals are triplets. I loved the wildflower lesson!!!

joonbeam said...

Jean, I cannot wait to see all these beautiful plants and animals when I move to Austin. Thank you for sharing. And we will get to meet. I am dying!

blazingneedles said...

I love the calla! When I pulled it up, my screen couldn't digest it all at once and made these lovely streaks down from the lily.
I guess that is called 'gilding the lily" :)

Sixsisters said...

Jean your Calla is beautiful.
Love the name sneezingweed. I have many of those
around here. lol.
Another lovely entry. Thanks Jean.

Linda Blondheim said...

Jean,
You are much too kind and generous. Thanks so much.
Love the lilly, fresh and beautiful.

Love,
Linda
www.lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com

liv said...

Calla is so pretty!

Michelle (artscapes) said...

The Calla is GORGEOUS! Well done!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you so much, Zuda! More wildflowers to come!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Joonie - You'll love Texas. the bluebonnets will "wow" you, I promise! Yes, we will finally meet!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Barb, callas are so beautiful! Thats cool when the screen does that!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hey Joan! I'm so glad you stopped by and commented!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Linda, Your compliments mean so much. I hope I bring new readers your way!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you, Liv!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Michelle, I appreciate that!

cynthia said...

Okay, Jean - THIS is my favorite painting of your to date!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Cynthia, I'll try to top if for you!!

HMBT said...

I love the new Calla, and wildflowers are a passion for me. Thanks for sharing, I've never seen that variation before of the Indian blanket, but then I have not had the pleasure of traveling the Texas hill country either...well, not yet anyway. :)

Paul Sears Photography said...

very cool!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Heather, when we have good rains at the right time, the wildflowers are breathtaking here!! You'd love the hill country!

I'm glad you like "Calla!"

Jean Levert Hood said...

Paul, thank you so much for stopping by!

Ohh, a real photographer! --argh-- Sometimes my shots are barely passable! You web site is wonderful. Beautiful work.

John said...

Great cala, it is almost growing and the background grounds it perfectly, splendid.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you John!