Wednesday, February 6, 2008

New Abstract, Ready for Spring!


Here's a new abstract in my Esty store, you can click on this link to visit.

"Blue Beak" is an original mixed media miniature painting. I'm still having fun creating miniature works. This one has a water color base in rich muted orange and green shades. That is accented with poured acrylics, giving dimension to the green and red streaks, as well as the blue 'beak'. It is 2 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches, standard ACEO size and price at $8.00. This abstract may be turned any way to suit you.

I am ready for Spring! The gray colors of winter are keeping me searching for the first blooms of the new season. And, yes, I'm entirely too spoiled for short winters here near in the Texas Hill Country, but I have to show you a taste of what's to come.

Our first trees to bloom are the Mountain Laurel. It's a gorgeous tree, and evergreen, so it does make a pretty tree in the winter against everyone else's bare branches. The blooms are a beautiful violet, and hang in clumps.

It's aroma is very strong, I can best describe it as grape Kool-aid! Yes, it smells like you have your nose in a packet of grape Kool-aid. I've seen it bloom in January, but normally I guess March would be about right. Even though our temperatures were in the 80's last week, we're having cold weather and a "winter" that's given us several hard freezes. Mild is good for me - this is about as far north as I ever want to be in winter.

Blooming right along with the Mountain Laurel is the Spanish Dagger. I have been watching for that beautiful huge bloom to peak through the top of the spikes. Not yet! You can see a Spanish Dagger by clicking this link to my Website.

Soon I'll be outside painting them both. There is a Mountain Laurel on the side of the house that I grew from seed. I paint it every spring.

Until next time!

27 comments:

joonbeam said...

Girl, are you trying to get me to move to Austin and live in the neighborhood? Oh my goodness, what a lovely flowering tree or bush? With blogger you can't go back and look in the middle of a post, can you? :) ox joon

Fused Glass said...

Very nice blog Jean

dianeclancy said...

Hi Jean,

What a wonderful painting!! And thank you for this grand photo of what is to come!!

Glad you broadcast - caught my eye!

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.YourArtMarketing.com

Genie said...

WOW! Before I even read the blog I thought that painting looked like a tropical bird. I can't believe it's a miniature, it's so striking! I really like the landscape view for it better than the portrait.

So, when your place starts blooming maybe you'll give me a tour and let me shoot? And I can give you a tour of Pinto Farm if you like. The Blue Hole and a few other areas are quite beautiful in the spring.

Anonymous said...

I love the warmth of the new miniature.

I would like more pictures of whats blooming.

Janis

Attack of the Vintage said...

WOW I love the bright warm colors you used. And the beautiful bush, just breathtaking. I used to live in Austin for a couple of years back in the 80's. I loved it, but needed more of a climate change. Great blog!

Jean Levert Hood said...

joon It's a tree, but trees don't get too big around here! It's too dry. You'd have bigger trees in Austin, they have more rain that we do!

fused thank you!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Diane, I appreciate your comments, Diane, and thanks to you, I know how to broadcast now!

Genie, I have painting/shooting trips planned!! We'll have a blast.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Janis, as things start blooming, I'll be sure to post. Spring here is fantastic - if we've had enough rains.

attack, Austin is a 'with it' place! I'm glad you like my painting, I'll be showing spring as it appears!

Debi McSwain said...

This painting looks like a Bird of Paradise Plant and the Spanish Dagger looks like a Yucca plant.

Melody said...

I'm ready for spring also Jean. Beautiful piece......love the vivid colour....spring can't be that far away....can it? We just received 10 inches of snow yesterday...yikes!

Liz said...

Beautiful painting, Jean.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Debi - the spanish dagger is in the yucca family, if I'm not mistaken. Thanks for stopping by!

Melody, oh my, 10 inches of snow?? It was 79 degrees here today! I'm glad you like my painting.

Liz, thank you for checking in. I appreciate the compliment.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Spring is a long way away from here! 2 months of snow yet! :)

I love this painting.... it has such texture and colour - beautiful!

dianeclancy said...

Hi Jean,

Just to let uyou know, there is a little something for you over at my blog.

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.YourArtMarketing.com

Chris O'Byrne said...

When do the blue bonnets bloom?
(I'm alive with alliteration!)

Jean Levert Hood said...

Michelle, we rarely see snow here. Thank you for your comment on my painting, and for stopping by!

Diane, You sweetie you!! Thank you!

Diane gave me a "Mwah" award!!

Chris, the bluebonnets bloom in spring, from March to May, depending on our weather. The bluebonnet is the state flower of Texas. It's often painted, photographed and anticipated every year.

Linda Blondheim said...

I love the minis Jean. Well done.
Love,
Linda
www.lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com

Jean Levert Hood said...

Linda, I'm always so glad when you stop by! Thank you.

Kris Cahill said...

Beautiful minis, Jean. I love the colors! Your work is so lovely.

Mountain laurel is gorgeous, and I'd love to smell it. I can't wait for my second season of jacarandas here in LA. How happy am I to be here this winter and not back in my old hometown of Chicago!

Cynthia said...

Jean - I'm jealous of your short winter! I occasionally ask my husband if he wouldn't like to move to San Antonio - where his parents live. He always replies that it's too hot - and I remind him of air conditioning.

I'm glad I popped by - I saw a painting in your etsy mini that I just had to have.

Debi McSwain said...

I myself was feeling very smug here on Tuesday in San Diego when it was 80 degrees. Believe it or not today it is snowing in the foothills where I live and it's 30 degrees!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Kriscompliment on my work. I really appreciate that. I used to have a florist business, and loved the potted jacarandas. They were in 6 in pots, I would love to see them as a tree!

Cynthia - truly I wouldn't want to live any further north than this in the winter! Yes, it does get pretty hot here, but, yes, that's what our studios and air conditioning is for.

Debi, You must have great temps all year long! We do a lot of that 80 degrees one day/40 degrees the next in winter.

moonbindery said...

Hi, I just ran across your blog. Your abstract looks lovely!

Jean Levert Hood said...

moonbindery I'm so glad you found my blog! And, I found yours. Beautiful work. Thank you for stopping by!

Kim said...

Hi Jean, I just found your blog and realy am enjoying the exploration. I love this painting a lot, too.

Where do you live in the hill country. I have lived in Texas two different times and enjoy the hill country and Austin a lot.

Wonderful blog. I will be back to explore.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Kim, I'm so glad you dropped by!! I live West of San Antonio.