Sunday, January 6, 2008

Water, Herons, and Painting Small - January 2008

I am beginning my new year in my studio making greeting cards and painting small watercolor pieces. It is so fun making greeting cards, and actually I started my art journey this way. I still make them, usually in batches of several dozen at a time. Mostly they are collage, with embellishments of all sorts - paint, stamps, found items, etc. I will be making some with the mini-watercolor paintings. They will be in my Etsy store available for sale next month. Working with cards and small paintings is really fun, and great for exercising my creativity. I love it.

I finished this large oil painting just before the Christmas holidays, so my current change of size to working small and in a different medium is a needed change. Here is "The Swamp." It was painted it from several photo references and my imagination. You can see a larger version by clicking on the painting.

It is 24" tall by 36" wide, which is very large for me! The upside to that was that it gave me lots of room for painting water! It now resides in a happy home in Louisiana.

I've been thinking about water. I love to paint water, and include it in every painting that I can. I've also been thinking about herons and egrets. We have both great blue herons and white herons in this area of Texas. We see both at and around our pond ( aka Lake Jean.) So, my next blog will be a great little story about a Great Blue Heron. (yes, you have to wait!) But, here is a painting that has an egret, or heron, and water - a combination I love.

The water in this painting, well, in fact all but the heron, is fairly abstract, and I do love to paint this way. I enjoy working with a more realistic subject, then turn more abstract on the background and color choices. This original oil painting is sold. The painting measures 16" x 12".

My sign off mannequins are temporarily missing! I had to reformat my computer, and must find them again on my back ups. The restore operation I did somehow did not bring them back to me. They have to be lurking in an unknown file somewhere. I won't give up until I find them.

Until next time!

12 comments:

Linda Blondheim said...

Jean, Your paintings are lovely this month.

I just tagged you on my blog. Go there to see what to do.
Love,
Linda

Tommy Thompson said...

Jean, Sounds like you are having a great time with the greeting cards and small paintings. Love your new paintings.

Tommy and Marie Thompson
http://www.tommythompsonart.com

William F. Renzulli said...

These are very nice paintings. My favorite is the swamp; I love the softness of the colors against the hard edges of the foreground.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Linda, oh my, tagged. I'll try to figure out what to do about that!! You're fun. Thanks for visiting!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Tommy and Marie, thank you for stopping by! Glad you like the new paintings. Best to you for the new year.

Jean Levert Hood said...

William, I appreciate your comments, thank you so much. I've been enjoying your blog!

Maisy Brown said...

Lovely heron. I like this slightly abstract treatment, too, it really works. Your colors are gorgeous! Very lovely blog and work, Jean!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Maisy, I'm so glad you stopped by! Your comments mean so much to me. Thank you!

Genie said...

Water water water! Let's go! Actually.... I think I may have a bit of tonsilitis. Can you believe it? Something's going on in there anyway. Wes says I should go out specifically to shoot dead winter stuff since there's not a lot out there. That should be an interesting challenge for me. You know what I'm thinking? I think he's right. Maybe some b&w is in order!

Cynthia said...

I love the heron painting - the touch of reality with really loose brush strokes.

You're off to a great year, Jean!

brendathour said...

Gorgeous work! I just LOVE your style, and the more I see it, the more I love it. How is that possible?

Jean Levert Hood said...

Brenda, you are too kind! I'm so glad you like it! Thank you.