Monday, January 14, 2008

Baby heron and new oil painting!

This original oil painting of a heron is 12 x 9. I enjoy painting herons, and this one captured that squatty little position that I like so much.







OK, I promised you a blog about a Great Blue Heron. Well, this is about a BABY Great Blue!! I’m not knowledgeable about baby Great Blue Herons, but here’s my story. We have this small water tank just outside the patio gate. One day this scruffy bird appeared. It was big, but, as I got my bird book and searched the Internet, not really that big, because it was a baby Great Blue! It was 10 – 12” tall and looked around, and seemed unafraid.

I took so many photos that first day in case it never came back. I was able to get about 20 feet away from the bird. What a thrill I had the next morning when I saw it again! (Took dozens more photos, very thankful for a digital camera at this point!) In the end, it stayed over 2 weeks. He seemed right at home, always at the little water tank, so proud, owning it!

You often see adult vultures, large birds of the like, on a fence post or limb spreading their wings to dry on a wet morning, or after a rain. Well, this little guy just had to do it. It was so funny! Just like a big buy, spreading his wings, telling the world, Yes, I OWN The Patio, and I Am A Big Guy! I loved watching him those weeks. He seemed content.

All in all, it was an amazing 2 weeks, so fun to see him again every day, knowing that soon he’d go his way. I’ve never seen a young one again like this. I’ve learned through the years to capture and enjoy what appears on the ranch where and when it does. Sometimes, it stays around for a moment, sometimes a day, some times a month, or somewhere in between. Living here gives beautiful moments of time that bring joy and pleasure. I love it!

The Available Works page of my website has been updated, new paintings have been posted. My My Etsy Store has new items added also. And -

I found my little men! So, until next time...

30 comments:

The Epiphany Artist said...

Tag I Am It- Now you Are IT!
http://epiphanyart.blogspot.com/2008/01/tag-i-am-it.html

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the new picture. You captured the exact pose. The colors are beautiful.

The great blue heron story was wonderful.
I had a nesting pair on the pond at my farm for several years. They are awesome birds.

Janis

Jean Levert Hood said...

Epiphany you got me!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Janis, thank you! The herons are so beautiful. I've never seen a nesting pair. That would be amazing. I'm glad you like my new painting!

Cynthia said...

You've captured the heron perfectly!

I love the photographs too.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Jean,

What a gorgeous painting! I love you photos and story about the heron ... thank you so much!

It brightened my day second hand.

By the way, I answered your question in today's post.

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

The Artful Eye said...

This is a beautiful painting. Stopped by at Diane's recommendation and will return. I love birds. Your artwork is fantastic. I love seeing paintings.

Genie said...

http://wolfs_moon.tripod.com/BlueHeronTotem.html That's a link to a page describing the Blue Heron as a totem animal. Those were some great pix of him! And the painting is stunning!!!

Your stuff is ever more amazing, Jean.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Cynthia Thank you! It was a fun time photo-ing the little guy everyday! I appreciate your comment on my work.

Diane, you are so sweet to answer my question! I am so glad I added a bit of 'happy' to your day!

Artful eye thank you for checking out my blog. ( and thank you Diane for the recommendation!) Your blogs are great - I checked them out, and will visit again. Thank you for the wonderful comment on my work and the heron painting. I truly appreciate that.

Genie that totem link is the next thing I'm going to check out! Fun! thank you Genie.

Sixsisters said...

Jean wonderful blog. I am a big fan of your painting.
I love the oreos. I didn't know cows were called that.
You can tell I am a city girl. But I do love nature and the calmness of it.

Joan

Jean Levert Hood said...

Joan, I live very rural, but, believe me, I do love to get to the city!! So glad you stopped by.

ZudaGay said...

Lovely painting, wonderful story!! I would so love to live out where the wild things are!!! You are blessed!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Zuda Gay, thank you for stopping by. Yes, it is amazing out here. I have many stories and photos yet to share. Living so rural is a visual delight. But, I do love to get to the city at times!

Linda Blondheim said...

Fabulous painting Jean and love the photos. Last weekend I spent time on the prairie. The Sand Hill Cranes were everywhere. I love birds. Your blog is tops!!!
Love,
Linda
www.lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com

Staci Rose said...

Jean, I love your coloring and this is an especially beautiful painting! :D

Jean Levert Hood said...

Linda, thank you so much for the compliments, I really appreciate that. I'm so grateful that you stop by!
I know you must see gorgeous wildlife in your part of the country, too. We don't have Sand Hill Cranes here, but I've seen them in New Mexico.
take care!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Staci Rose, I think the same of your paintings! The color in the painting you use in your avatar is wonderful. I'm glad you stopped by.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Jean,

I am still working on my post, but when I get it finished there is a little surprise for you there. Hope you enjoy it!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

Genie said...

Blue Delight is an awesome abstract! I love it!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Diane, what a huge, wonderful surprise! Thank you so very much!
I am honored!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Genie, thank you! I'm going to be posting more miniatures on my Etsy site, both abstracts and others.

Fannie said...

Beautiful work here.

Linilla said...

Nice post. Great Blue Herons are incredible birds!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Fannie and Linilla, thank you for visiting my blog! I appreciate your comments and compliments. Those Great Blues are so majestic, of course, this little guy wasn't quite yet at this stage!

Liz said...

Love these heron photos, Jean. I can never seem to get good photos of birds - they move too quickly! I think I saw a heron on Saturday standing on a rock in the middle of the river but it was too far away to photograph. Pity - it stayed there for ages! probably because it knew it was safe...

Jean Levert Hood said...

Liz, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. It was a wonderful opportunity! I'd love to be able to get really close up to some Great Blues ( adults). thank you for stopping by!

John said...

Hi, I birded for years - this is an immature night heron - the bill color, posture and weight, long legs makes be believe it is a yellow crowned night heron and not a black crowned night heron.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Yellow-crowned_Night-Heron_dtl.html#range

Great blog and very nice photos too.

Jean Levert Hood said...

John, Thank you so much for this info! I've never seen the mature bird before in our area. I'm glad you like my blog, please visit again!

brendathour said...

Oh Jean, I just love the loose brush strokes in this Baby Heron painting!!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

thank you Brenda! I appreciate your comment so much! I love to paint herons and egrets.