Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Poplars at Oak Creek, and few Monarch Butterflies!

October 23, 2007. Tuesday




Fall is really here now! We've had some cooler nights and mornings, but the heat of the day hadn't significantly changed. A very strong north wind blew in, and it was 42 degrees this morning. Hopefully this means that we won't have anymore temperatures above 85. This is our fall. Widely varying temperatures can still mean several clothing changes between morning and evening.

The Monarchs were decidedly disappointing this year. Their numbers were few, but I did get a photo of one butterfly clump in the mesquite trees at the pond. The north winds simply came too late. This happens many years. So, I'll wait for next year!

This oil painting is "Poplars at Oak Creek." A few years ago I was in the Sedona area with my sister. We drove along Oak Creek, north from Sedona on a misty, cloudy day. The poplars were just beginning to change to their golden color. I've seen many poplars before painting in northern New Mexico, but I'd never seen them in the season's change. It was a gorgeous site. This original painting is 14 x 11, oil on board. You can see a larger version, and purchase information on my website.


I've added paintings to my Esty Store, so be sure to visit for Christmas shopping! I have small works and studies posted on Etsy priced from $25.00. I'll be adding more of my original art soon!


My website has been updated, so be sure to check out my newly posted works. A friend came by and took photos as I was painting, and I'm sharing some of those shots with you. You can see those on My Studio This Month. Thank you for visiting,

until next time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you didn't have more monarchs this year.

The new painting is great.

Genie said...

Wow, Ranch Road is awesome! Both that one and Poplars seem a little different from what you've been doing... although they are both very different from each other. Amazing stuff, Jean.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Anon, thank you for dropping in, so glad you like the Poplar painting!

Genie, yes, they are a little different from my usual landscapes, that is one reason I love to travel. It really stirs up your creativity. It keeps me thinking of how to paint better. I really appreciate your comment!