Wednesday, October 24, 2007

New Oil Painting, and Old Man's Beard

Monday, October 29, 2007

This painting was done on location in Fredericksburg, Texas. I had been in a workshop all day, and most folks were packing up from the day's work. I was painting with my dear friend Vanaly Palmer, and we saw the late light falling just perfectly on these trees. We set up quickly and did a small paining of the trees. I touched it up in the studio later. This original oil painting is 9 x 12, oil on board. It is available on my website . I have a new featured painting, Bluebonnet Path on my website this week, also. I updated my My Studio This Month last week, in case you missed that. The Texas Hill Country is just beautiful. I love to show it off!

















This unusual clump of stuff (technically speaking) is commonly called "Old Man's Beard."








We see it often in summer and fall in small clumps adorning shrubs, fences, and fence posts. This year it has taken on a life of its own! It is making huge clumps all over small trees, and drapes along expanses of foliage and fences. Again, our wonderful and plentiful summer rains give us an abundance of growth and beauty. I don't know what this plant is. It isn't in my book on Texas Wildflowers, nor my book on South Texas shrubs, and I don't have a book on Texas Hill Country weeds! If any one knows, please let me know.

Here's a close up, you can see that it takes tons of those little "beards" to make those huge clumps!










We have this beautiful mustard yellow colored brush lining the roads in the fall. It doesn't seem to grow too far in from the road sides, so it must not like to compete for space among the other plants. This plant too, is taller and more abundant this year. It looks almost like yellow baby's breath. It is very airy and light, and makes a beautiful show. I'm not great on identifying some of these flowers, but I think it is either Slender Headed Euthamia, or Downy Goldenrod. Both bloom September - November, and both are members of the Sunflower family. They both tend to edge growth. Another sign that it is fall! They are pretty until our first freeze. So much of our landscape is hard, prickly, and sticky, it is a bit of relief to see the open and delicate.

Next week, you'll get to see how the baby chicks are turning into teenagers! They are getting quite big. I had so much to show you with our fall foliage, I thought I'd save the chicks for the next post. Until next time!


5 comments:

Left: Hot Coffee, Long Day said...

This maybe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clematis_vitalba

Left: Hot Coffee, Long Day said...

I've really been wanting to shoot that yellow "baby's breath" stuff. It's growing like crazy on the farm... but I felt like my camera wouldn't really do it. More reasons why I need a macro lens!!!!

And, now, you've got me itching to go shoot that white fuzzy stuff, I didn't know it had that bright pink/red center. Quite lovely close up!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Hot Coffee, this really looks like a very similar plant. I know for every plant we must have, there are so many types that are similar, same family - that sort of thing. Thank you, I think you hit it!
Yes, the yellow "baby's breath" stuff doesn't show well with my camera, makes me want to paint it! That is how I feel that I capture things.
Thanks for stopping in!

Anonymous said...

I love the new painting.
The old man's beard is very interesting. I vote for a macro lens. I would love to see closeups of the wildflowers.

Janis

Plein Air Florida said...

Jean,
Wow you live in a great place. Just wonderful!! That Old Man's Beard stuff is fascinating.
Love,
Linda
www.lindablondheimartnotes.blogspot.com