Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Oil Painting of a Sycamore Tree

August Sycamore 20 x 16, Oil/Panel


This is a new oil painting of the early August Sycamore. It is on Highway 90 West on the north side of the highway at Pinto Creek. It is 20x16, painted on gessoed panel. I plan to take photos of this same tree all through the fall and winter. A catalog of the seasonal changes will be interesting, and give me lots of painting ideas. My original blog post on Sycamore trees is on August 26 in the Flora and Fauna Report. You can click here see the original post and the reference photo.



Flora and Fauna Report







I love zinnias. I plant them every year on my patio. The large ones suit me best, but they really don't get too large here. The heat keeps the a bit stunted, which is perfect for my huge patio pots. I get all colors, but these are my favorites. Fuschia!

I'll have to paint them, it's one of my favorite painting colors to use. Generally it would be under the name of Alizarin Crimson or Thalo Red Rose in paint brands. Both are very strong colors and can be difficult to handle. I'm sure I'll use them both painting these. Our mild weather has kept them blooming, and I think I can keep them going until fall. I'm going to try to save the seeds of these and see if I can grow them next year.

I painted a 12x9 oil of my garden zinnias, wild cosmos, and marigolds last year. This piece is sold, you can see it on my web site here.




I do try to take good photos, but these shots below denied me time to wait for the perfect pose or find the perfect place to stand. A rainbow was over the field in front of the house, and the deer were out feeding a the same time.






I just grabbed the camera and got outside as quickly and quietly as possible, trying to not scare the deer. These are a bit grainy, I had to use the optical zoom to capture it. That is the chain to my porch swing in the middle of the shot. Again, these are not good shots, but the subject matter was too good to pass up. ( apologies to any photographers out there!)





We have white tail deer in this part of Texas. I never tire of watching them.


Until next time!

13 comments:

Melody said...

Jean, I just love this sycamore tree.....I can see myself sitting under it enjoying the view
Lovely........

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you Melody. It is a beautiful spot indeed. I should post a pic of the creek that is stands by. With all of our rains, the water is so pretty.

Genie said...

Yea! I can see your painting big now when I click on it! That's so awesome! And the first zinnia one! SO colorful! I don't think I ever saw the "Garden Zinnias" painting, it's GORGEOUS! I love it, and the way you did that green jar, wow!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Genie, Aren't those zinnias amazing? And truly, their color is more intense than in the photos. They are the best I've had in years. I'm so glad you like the painting, I don't think I had it posted anywhere before, as it is sold.

Clare said...

Jean
Your art brings me so many memories. Your sycamore tree puts me back to about the age of 6 swinging on a rope swing my Dad had made. The wonderful use of color makes me feel entergized.
Clare

Jean Levert Hood said...

Clare, isn't it amazing how art touches so many of our emotions? I want my paintings to do that, always. Thank you for visiting!

Genie said...

You're sweet to come by and comment! We collected a bunch of Moonflower seeds last night, let me know if you want any! Wes intends to plant them all over the fenceline. I don't think they're a pretty vine, they look dreadful in the heat of the day, it's only at night that they perk back up and get all their gorgeous blooms. Wish he'd plant them in the BACK! But they prefer full light, even if they wilt under it. I guess the more they suffer the more blooms they create.

Janis said...

Jean, I love the new painting. I would love to see more pictures of the wildlife. Do you ever paint any?

Genie said...

Tom said those crystals looked like Porkchop from Shari Lewis' act. Talk about the 1970's!

Cynthia said...

That will be a great project, Jean - the sycamore in spring, summer, fall and winter! You make me want to pull out my paints - the brush strokes are luscious..

The Epiphany Artist said...

August Sycamore - You are wonderful at adding color and dram to a plein air!

The Epiphany Artist said...

drama that is !

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you Terri, (Epiphany) for dropping in! I do love to use as much color as I can get away with in a painting. It's what drives me!