Sunday, September 16, 2007

New Oil Painting, Cactus and Bluebonnets

September 16, 2007


Texas' Warm Blue Quilt, oil on RayMar panel, 8x10
Original Oil Painting


I'm painting bluebonnets again. My recent series of paintings are of bluebonnets and cactus. We have prickly pear cactus here. I say "here," but I do have to tell you, I was in Maui some years ago, and there are prickly pear cactus there! Hawaii? Tropical beach? Cactus?? Cactus – beach??? I did not expect to see mesquite trees and prickly pear cactus in Hawaii. It is on the dry side of the island, and the ranching area there looks much like our part of the country. I simply was unprepared to see dry Hill Country looking areas in Hawaii.


OK, I got sidetracked there. The reference photos for the paintings I'm working on are from the patch of bluebonnets on our ranch. I just love it when I can get a bluebonnet framed by a cactus pad. Here is a close up of the focal area of the painting:


Look at how much the chicks have grown! With their growth, their cage size has grown, too. They're still in an enclosed area of the big yard, but protected from The Big Chickens. They are still too young to put with TBCs, but at their rate of growth, it won’t be long! Stay tuned.

This is a shot of a few of TBCs.


A new painting is posted on my main webpage, you can see it by clicking HERE, and a larger version of it HERE. Updates are posted on the "My Studio This Month" page, where I show you my patio painting adventures with my new studio assistant, and some of my paintings from this past month. You can click HERE to see that. The close up of the main painting shows you how I use my oil paints - a lot of texture, thick paint and rich color. Colors are often those of my imagination. I paint an impressionistic subject, and usually an abstract background. My personal brand of impressionism includes abstract colors, some realism, thick paint, visible brush strokes, and intense, saturated colors.

Until next time!

13 comments:

Genie said...

They Sing The Blues is incredibly vibrant! And the detail on the flowers is really sharp, especially the ones on the front right corner.

Texas' Warm Blue Quilt, eh? That's the one that remindedme of an aquarium!

Kesha Bruce said...

I love how "Texas' Warm Blue Quilt" totally functions as an abstract. Lovely color and patterning!

Cynthia said...

I've always wanted chickens... And, of course, your studio assistant is gorgeous!

Love your paintings and brushstrokes!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Genie, those blues do remind me of water, so glad you like the painting!

Thanks, Keesha! I really like playing with abstract in both color and design in my work. Appreciate you stopping by!

Cynthia, Brush strokes are the ice cream of painting! I love those last segments of finalizing a painting, when you can put the bold strokes on. I'll keep you updated on the chicks.


Jean

BoydGreeneArt said...

Absolutely amazingly beautiful art!

Jean Levert Hood said...

BoydGreeneArt, what a wonderful comment. Thank you so much! Please stop by again.
Jean

les lull said...

Love the bluebonnets. I like the way you handled this.

Melody said...

Wow Jean, those bluebonnets are incredibly vibrant. Beautiful painting

Jean Levert Hood said...

Les and Melody, I really appreciate your comments.
Jean

Ed Terpening said...

Nice color harmony in that cactus, the greens are perfect. Bravo!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Ed, Thank you very much! I truly appreciate the compliment.

Anonymous said...

Do you know an artist named Jean Thompson? I have one of the paintings. It is a landscape with bluebonnets in front and a small church in the back. It looks like a Texas scene. Since you paint the Hill Country, I thought you might know. Thanks.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Anonymous - Thank you for visiting my blog! No, I'm sorry, I don't know of an artist by the name of Jean Thompson. We do love painting bluebonnets in the part of Texas!! Maybe a Google search could help.
I did that with the name + artist, and there are several possibilities that might lead you to her. Best to you!