Monday, August 20, 2007

New Oil Painting of the Snake River

August 20, 2007



The past week has flown by. Of course they all do, don't they!


I've had some wonderful opportunities to travel, and I paint many of the beautiful places I visit. This painting is of the Snake River in Wyoming. What a gorgeous river! According to Wikipedia, the Snake River originates in Yellowstone National Park in northwest Wyoming, then flows into Jackson Lake in the Grand Teton National Park, from there it heads south through Jackson Hole and past the town of Jackson. It continues on from Jackson, but this is the area where we drove along side of it. "Snake" is very descriptive of this river, on our ride from the south going up to Yellowstone, we drove along side of it for miles, and it twists and turns constantly.


The water was turquoise, amazing at every view. I took photo after photo. With more beauty at every turn, I was happy to have a digital instead of a film camera. The sky was intense, the water swift, and the surrounding mountains and trees added to the drama of the Snake River. The road "snaked" with the river, and it was wonderful that there were many turn offs provided for sight seeing and photo taking.


This painting is in oil, it is 10 x 8.




Next post I'll tell you about the beautiful Sycamore tree. I love to watch them in August, that is when they first start turning colors from the spring and summer green. Now, I say "summer" loosely, because our summer generally lasts well into October. The turning of the leaves in August reminds me that for all of our summer heat in Texas, winter will come. It is one of my favorite trees in our area. I've painted it on location in the Texas Hill Country areas of the Pedernales River and the Rio Frio. I must stop now, or I'll tell it all to you this week.

Until next time!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jean,

I love the new painting.
Give us an update on the animals in the next blog.

Janis

The Epiphany Artist said...

New painting is wonderful!

Genie said...

I know it's to show distance and whatever art term it is, but there's gray in your painting! Okay, I don't know why, but this shocks me. I don't remember ever seeing any gray in any of your paintings. I'm an art dummy so I don't know why but I LOVE that gray. Not the shade/hue/whatever, just the way you used it. It was EXACTLY what the painting needed right there. And then the blue sky and clouds above that is so striking too, I don't know why. It's just blue sky and clouds, but... the gray gives it the perfect amount of depth and then you realize that there's this vivid sky above it all. Kewl. By the way, I'm back! The class sucked. It was REALLY hard. I'm supposedly armed now, however, with the trick to relieving sinus allergies and migraines. Whatever. We'll see. I'll use it on me for a few weeks and let you know.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Janis, next time I'll add an updated picture of the baby chicks to the Flora and Fauna Report. I do F&R about twice a month. Glad you like the painting.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Terry, thank you for stopping by!! I'm so glad you liked my painting. That area is just gorgeous.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Genie, you have a perceptive eye!! Yes, the gray needs to be at the top of the mountain. If it werenot there, the mountain would look like a tall green column, straight up, not a mountain. And you're also right that I don't use a lot of grays. When I do, I try to have them as colorful as possible.
Rats........sorry about the class, but if you can get relief from sinus headaches, that's great!