Monday, August 13, 2007

Monday, August 13, 2007



Last week was really busy with out of town guest, and a wedding. I didn't have a lot of concentrated studio time, so I did "repairs" to paintings and cleaned. Organized chaos is how artist Linda Blondheim describes it! Very appropriate description for my studio too. I need some level of organization to function, but the act of painting creates a certain amount of chaos for me. In addition to my painting area, I have a place in my studio for framing and making cards, one for displaying paintings, another for perusing photos for ideas. These areas can all get really messy, and at times I simply must stop and straighten up.




Doing repairs to paintings requires a smaller block of time, and it is many times how I use shorter studio hours. Often, when a painting isn't quite right, I set it aside until I know what I want to do with it to make it pleasing to my eye. I will have a "repair" day, and work on a number of paintings. It's often quick gratification - short work time ending up with several pieces that I'm pleased with.




Flora and Fauna Report!



The bougainvillea are starting to bloom in my herb/naturalized/flower garden. They will be really pretty later in the fall. Just one little bloom is making me happy right now!




I love this color of bougainvillea, the deep fuchsia one. This is a painting from last fall, painted in my garden. These beauties grow so well in the Texas Hill Country area, it's able to stand our heat and dry conditions, and the harsh sun just makes it bloom more. This painting is a 12 x 9, oil on canvas board.




The baby chick is growing fast, and towering above the rest of the new family. We purchased a number of baby chicks, and they are getting on just fine with our hatch. (We don't have an incubator, so we rarely have baby chicks of our own, and usually purchase them.) They will soon be with the adults in the chicken yard.




'till next time!

8 comments:

Plein Air Florida said...

Love the flower painting. Just beautiful Jean.
Love,
Linda

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thank you Linda, always appreciate you stopping by to look.

The Epiphany Artist said...

Love the painting! The chicks are adorable :)

Genie said...

I love seeing what's going on in your outside life--the chicks, the flowers! It's more fun than just a blog about nothing but "buy my paintings here!" I love seeing how your outside life leaks into your paintings. By outside I mean OUTSIDE--your property! Too fun to get to see glimpses of that!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Terry, the chicks are fun to watch. I'll keep you posted with their growing up.
Genie, it's so neat to write about it, too! I get soooo much from nature, always have. It's incredible to live here with all of this around me. It is such fuel for my creativity.

Janis said...

Love the new chicks. The flower picture was awesome.
- Janis

clare said...

Love the chick-chicks as well as the art.

Clare

Jean Levert Hood said...

Janis and Clare, that you for the comments. I'll keep you up on the chicks. I had a lot of email comments on my blog, and everyone seems to think the chick updates are fun. They grow sooooo fast!
Janis, glad you like the painting.