Saturday, July 28, 2007

July 28, 2007

This is a recent painting of bluebonnets in the Texas Hill Country area, probably around Fredericksburg. I have so many photos of bluebonnet fields that it is hard to keep up with where each one is from. This painting is 11 x 14, oil on canvas, available for $395.00.

Bluebonnets are scattered throughout this area of Texas, and many varieties extend into the western states and Mexico. We have a small patch on our property. Some years it is outstanding, other years are sparse. This spring gave scant blooms with our dry weather last year. The "Texas Bluebonnet" generally blooms March through May. There are several different bluebonnets (lupine) throughout the state, and some have a longer blooming time. It is a member of the legume family.

When you see a field of bluebonnets, you see mostly the intense blue violet color, and in the foreground, a bit of the white tips. If you can inspect a flower up close, you’ll see marvelous variations of cream to lime green and yellow green, as well as a beautiful dash of crimson on the flower petals. It makes me want to paint a close up of one!

If they are blooming late, you may see the flowers alongside the blooming prickly pear cactus. That is quite a show. In this area, the prickly pear usually bloom after the bluebonnets are gone. It is a treat to see them in bloom together. Even without the show alongside the cactus blooms, they are accompanied by many other wildflowers, so a profusion of color is always there - yellows, whites, oranges, reds, etc.


Flora and Fauna update...............

The deer are so fun to watch. (We have white tail deer). There is a cleared area in front of our house where we feed deer and all manner of birds, bunnies, ducks and whatever else cares to eat there. There is a drinking pond off to the side also. Last summer, several doe had their fawns with them in the clearing. Usually, we don’t see fawns, they stay hidden in the brush until they are older. One of my cats likes to stalk the deer, until the deer tire of her presence, and stamp their front feet and send her away. I painted out not too long ago, and had deer in the field with me while I painted!

The fruit of the wild persimmon trees is ripening. It turns almost black when it is ripe. Just until it is ripe, the fruit is the same color as the leaves, so even when the trees are loaded with fruit, it is hard to see unless you are up close. The fruits are about the size of a nickle, and animals and birds love them...people do not.





8 comments:

Plein Air Florida said...

This is an excellent post Jean. I love your blog. I learn so much about the Hill Country from you and your beautiful paintings are wonderful
Love,
Linda

Jean Levert Hood said...

Linda, thank you for stopping by! I appreciate such a nice compliment. This is an area rich in beauty and history, it's fun to write about it.

Cynthia said...

Lovely painting Jean! I was fortunate to be in Texas a few years ago visiting my in-laws in San Antonio and we took a drive out into the country and I was just amazed by the miles of blue bonnets in bloom.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Cynthia thank you for that! The bluebonnets are quite a tourist draw for the entire hill country area. There are lots of slow drivers around in the spring, and cameras everywhere.

Genie said...

I love the trees in that painting, the way you did the leaves is really amazing. Gives them movement and makes them look almost fantastcial. Really very cool! It's an awesome painting. Um.... a "U?"

The tree in the left, I feel like I've seen that bark in other paintings of yours. What kind of tree is it?

I didn't know we had wild persimmon. Do you happen to know what the Texas Buckey looks like and when it seeds out? I'd like to collect a bunch of the seeds.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Genie, thanks for stopping by.

I love to paint trees. It gives opportunity for endless variety of shape, value, color. The tree on the left is a small oak. I like to put that slash of orange sunlight.

We have a tree I've heard called the Mexican Buckeye. I presume it's the same thing. Pink/fuschia blooms, early spring. It's by Elm Creek, under the oaks. It doesn't bloom every year, and I haven't had luck planting the seeds. It is really pretty when it blooms. I'll keep an eye next spring if you remind me!

The Epiphany Artist said...

My Sister lived in Dallas for a year and all she talks about are those little Blue Bonnets! You are so luck!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Terry, I painted another bluebonnet painting yesterday. I'm working in a series on them, just a fun, happy flower! Thanks for stopping by.