Saturday, July 14, 2007

July 14, 2007, Saturday

I've been busy this week, working on my July themes of the Frio River, and painting the lavender fields of Becker Vineyards in Fredericksburg, Texas. You can see the paintings I'm working on and read about my studio happenings at: http://data.fineartstudioonline.com/dataviewer.asp?keyvalue=1584&page=Other2 .
This page is updated at least once a month, with studio news and photos.

I painted a little vase of plumbago blooms this past week. I have plumbago planted in my garden, and am trying to coax it to grow a bit. The blooms are so pretty, and I decided to paint it from life. I photographed the progressions, and will show the the process of how I paint.




I toned the canvas with Transparent Orange, and used the same to draw my vase of flowers. My initial drawing is often very sketch, but I do spend a lot of time making sure that my placement is correct, and the design will be appealing.Next, I cover the canvas with the approximate colors of the subject, not being very particular about staying true to the original line drawing. The canvas is covered with paint. Next, I begin to add shadow and light.
Refining shapes and colors,
more refining,
The finished product. This piece is 10 inches by 8 inches. This painting is available for purchase at $200.00 at the following link on my website: http://data.fineartstudioonline.com/dataviewer.asp?keyvalue=1584&subkeyvalue=121902&page=WorksDetail

This is a close up of the focal area.This is my palette at the end of the painting. I use a large palette, this one is about 22 inches square.
I had fun photographing the various stages. I'll probably do that for the larger still life I have set up in my studio now.

Till later!

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

Gorgeous and I really love the progress photos too. I enjoy painting, but haven't done much of it recently. I especially like the rough middle ones where you're blocking in tone, shadows and color.

Genie said...

Wow, seeing the progression with even your brief comments was a lot different than just looking at the progressive set of pics. For one, dummy me didn't realize those were all done on the same canvas. Yes, that's how little I know about art. That's so cool!!!!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Cynthia, with all of that talent you have for ceramics, you paint too??!
Thank you,
Jean
Genie, I'm so glad you liked it. I'll be doing progressions from time to time.....all on the same canvas! I'll try to add to the 'brief' part next time, and go more indepth with my comments.
Jean

The Epiphany Artist said...

I loved seeing the progression ! wonderful painting!

Michelle LaRae said...

I love seeing the progression in your style of painting. My style is so different from yours.

I am a much slower painter, so my progression photos are coming along much slower.

clare said...

Jean
I really enjoyed seeing how you
went thru the steps in the plumbago painting to achieve a finished painting.
Clare