Tuesday, May 29, 2007

flora and fauna report for May ....testing 1-2-3...

My first blog! Welcome, as I get the learning curve down, I'll post more often.

This is a painting I did last month. The Spanish Daggers bloomed late this year, but they did bloom in all of their splendor! They are one of the first signals that spring is here, along with the blooms of the mountain laurel. This is a 12 x 9 painting, done in oil.

The sage are blooming! The rains have caused an explosion of purple with the sage brush blooms. It's a shrubby bush, kind of messy, and quite unremarkable until it blooms. It blooms all through the year as the rains come. The wind was blowing so much I had to hold the branch to get this close up.
I haven't seen a turtle in a long time. This one barely gave me enough time to get a shot before it went into the brush. It was faster than I thought it would be!

Thank you for checking out my blog. I'll add more features soon, visit next week!









10 comments:

Cynthia said...

Welcome to blogging, Jean! Your painting is wonderful, and I really enjoy seeing the plant life in Texas. It's really gorgeous.

Betty C. Bowen said...

Jean, great first post. Love the turtle. We're looking at your blog in class and one of my students just told me how to cook a turtle for dinner.

Genie said...

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tommy Thompson said...

Jean, You are great at blogging. The sage blossoms are beautiful. We saw and loved the sage in Jackson Hole, but I did not realize that it blooms. Thanks for sharing, and your paintings are beautiful.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Cynthia, Betty, Genie and Tommy, thank you!
Cynthia, I'll be showing the plant life for each season, changes, blooms, etc. Betty, I have to confess that I have eaten turtle - I'm from South Louisiana!
Genie - y o u are awesome.
Tommy, thanks so much for stopping by.

Genie said...

Hey! There's a guy who has been coming to Brackett looking for turtles. Want me to give him your number? He went out on the farm looking for them and didn't find a one. He takes them back to... wherever he lives. He's a turtle freak, apparently.

Your blog looks great!

Genie said...

You know, your blooming sage looks exactly on my screen the way I imagine it looking in real life (I know the mind can't record colors properly) and it gives me hope that I did my gamma settings correctly.

Plein Air Florida said...

This blog is really great Jean. Proud of you.
Love,
Linda
www.linda-blonheim.blogspot.com

Jean Levert Hood said...

Thanks for stopping by, Linda!

vanaly said...

OHMYGOSH...i just love reading your blog.... your descriptions of your home are wonderful... feel like i am walking down the paths with you.. your paintings are SO expressive... LOVE IT... vanaly